Welder Qualification in 3G position by 1G PQR

Brijesh Maurya

Feb 16, 2020, 10:57:09 PM2/16/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear expert,
please advice can i use 1G qualified PQR for Welder Qualification in 3G upward position?
Note: No impact requirement.

regards,
Brijesh Maurya

Ramesh

Feb 17, 2020, 3:33:30 AM2/17/20
to material...@googlegroups.com

Yes, you can,

For example, I consider  SMAW,

1.    Prepare WPS as Position qualified ALL using 1G PQR ( it’s non essential variable as per table QW 253, QW 405.1 & QW 405.3)

2.    Use this WPS to qualify your welder as you want to use them on job ( You case 3G uphill)

                  3. Prepare WPQ record considering QW 353 essential variables.

Thanks and Regards

Rameshkannan Devaraj

"What you have learned is a mere handful; What you haven't learned is the size of the world – Avvaiyar"

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

ranajit chatterjee

Feb 17, 2020, 8:31:09 AM2/17/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
If 1G PQR conducted as per AWS D1. 1, you can not use the 1G PQR for 3G welder qualification.

Regards,

Ranajit Chatterjee

Sent from RediffmailNG on Android

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

harenath jha

Feb 17, 2020, 8:31:09 AM2/17/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Weld position is not an essential variable for wps

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

José Juan Jiménez Alejandro

Feb 17, 2020, 7:33:04 PM2/17/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
One of the main details that should be written in your questions is which of the Codes you are working on,
Ramesh <rameshkan...@gmail.com>, is correct for ASME SECTION IX, DOESN'T HANDLE EQUAL IN ALL CODES.

--

Ing. José Juan Jiménez Alejandro

Independent Consultant in Parts

and Pressure Equipment

SSI-TPI

Móvil +52 1 812 352 4606

Skype: jjjimeneza

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Feb 17, 2020, 7:33:04 PM2/17/20
to materials-welding
As per AWS D1.1, is it acceptable.

Brijesh Maurya

Feb 17, 2020, 7:33:07 PM2/17/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all for your valuable reply.
PQR was welded in 1G position as per ASME SEC IX.
According to Asme sec IX, can i use this wps for welder qualification in 3G position?

NARK

Feb 17, 2020, 7:33:08 PM2/17/20
to Materials & Welding
As per the ASME SECTION IX-ED-2019,the position is not a essential variable but AWS D1.1 limits position,it depends up on the applicability.

Regards

Nidhin

anand gupta

Feb 18, 2020, 1:49:48 AM2/18/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Need 3G qualification again.

Regards
A p gupta
--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Ramesh

Feb 18, 2020, 1:49:48 AM2/18/20
to material...@googlegroups.com

Same question ? still not convinced !

The Answer is YES only as per ASME Sec-9.

What was written in your WPS QW 405 - for the position qualified ? 1G or ALL?

If not, Revise the WPS and mention Position qualified as “ALL” &

Start qualifying your welders as per your positional requirements !

Thanks and Regards

Rameshkannan Devaraj

"What you have learned is a mere handful; What you haven't learned is the size of the world – Avvaiyar"

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Feb 18, 2020, 1:49:50 AM2/18/20
to materials-welding
Ref please

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

james gerald

Feb 18, 2020, 4:00:52 AM2/18/20
to 'anand gupta' via Materials & Welding
Welder to be qualified based on Approved WPS>

ASME Sec.IX being the code, PQR qualified in 1G position can weld all positions when Impact test is not required.

Amend the WPS to include ALL position or 3G position and carryout Welder Qualification

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

james gerald

Feb 18, 2020, 4:01:01 AM2/18/20
to 'anand gupta' via Materials & Welding
What is the Applicable code.

Brijesh Maurya

Feb 18, 2020, 6:05:23 AM2/18/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
Thanks for your valuable advice.
Please find the attached wps & pqr.
Here position for groove is all.
I think i can qualify my welder in 3G position by using this wps/pqr.

WPS,PQR,.pdf

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Feb 18, 2020, 7:17:02 AM2/18/20
to materials-welding
Mr. Ranjit, could you pl give me the code ref ( D1.1)

james gerald

Feb 18, 2020, 8:43:19 PM2/18/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
WPS/PQR is Fine. You can proceed with welder qualification in 3G position.

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

HENNING John

Feb 18, 2020, 8:43:19 PM2/18/20
to material...@googlegroups.com

I am a bit confused by the query.  I am not sure what you are trying to determine so I will attempt to summarize what I would apply if I was reviewing your WPS/PQR and WPQR.

1)     Since the procedure qualification requirements for GTAW in ASME Section IX, Table QW-256, variable QW-405.1 for position is a nonessential variable (when impacts are not required), your 1G PQR will support a WPS written for welding in all positions.

2)    Per this section of QW-301.2;  “. . . The welder or welding operator who prepares the WPS qualification test coupons meeting the requirements of QW-200 is also qualified within the limits of the performance qualifications, listed in QW-304 for welders . . . He is qualified only within the limits for positions specified in QW303.”  The welder who welded the PQR test plate will be qualified per the requirements of Table QW-356, with QW-405.1 being an essential variable.  Ultimately leading through QW-303.1 to Table QW-461.9.  Per Table QW-461.9 the welder who welded the PQR test plate will only be qualified for welding in the Flat position.

3)    Again, citing a portion of QW-301.2, “ . . . The performance qualification test shall be welded in accordance with qualified Welding Procedure Specifications (WPS) . . .”  Since your WPS is written/qualified for all positions, welders may be tested in any position with qualified positions per Table QW-461.9 depending on tested position(s).  So, YES welders may be qualified in the vertical position using this WPS.

Let me know if this not clear or adequate for your purposes.

Enjoy.  Code is fun.

John