Weld Repair Procedure as per API 1104

waqas suleman

Oct 23, 2015, 4:11:34 AM10/23/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Members,

We qualified Welding Procedure on API 1104, now our Client is demanding Weld Repair Procedure Qualification.
In scope Weld Repair Procedure Qualification is not mentioned.
I need expert judgement that is it mandatory to qualify Weld Repair Procedure for each welding procedure in API 1104.

JIJILAL K M

Oct 24, 2015, 1:18:07 AM10/24/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Suleman,

You've to qualify Full and partial weld repair qualification with respect to welding process / pipe material .
jijilal k.m.

K.M. JIJILAL

waqas suleman

Oct 24, 2015, 5:59:07 AM10/24/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear JUJULAL,

Thanks for your comment, but my question is, is it Mandatory requirement to qualify separate Weld Repair Procedure Qualification.

JIJILAL K M

Oct 25, 2015, 12:08:36 AM10/25/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
That will be with respect to your client requirement, which shall included in the weld specs. However API1104, article     10.2 REPAIR PROCEDURE says
'When a repair welding procedure is required, the procedure shall be established and qualified'
If your project requires, there you should have to get  the approval of Job Procedure/method of statement for Full and partial repairs and its WPS prior to Welding procedure Qualifications.
hope you got cleared

K.M. JIJILAL
​, QA/QC Manager,Jurong Engineering Ltd. Thailand​.

Parag Pansare

Oct 25, 2015, 12:08:58 AM10/25/15
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear Waqas,

It is not mandatory to qualify a repair WPS & PQR as per API 1104.

However, as a good construction practice it is better and advisable to establish and qualify the repair WPS & PQR as you don't expect all weld joints to be 100% defect free. Secondly, if you find any defect in any of your weld joints then will you be going for complete weld joint cut out instead of repairing only the required defective area.

Regards,

PARAG PANSARE

Kathirvel Arumugam

Oct 30, 2015, 9:05:38 AM10/30/15
to Materials & Welding
Dear Members,

Make defects joints and do the repair work and do the mechanical test and qualify the procedures to satisfy the code and then client requirement,

MADHUSOODHANAN NAIR .G

Nov 24, 2015, 4:16:26 AM11/24/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Members

    As per API1104 Latest edition below mentioned repair procedures is mandatory.

1.Full thickness repair.

2. Cover pass repair
3.Partial  thickness repair
4.Internal Partial thickness repair
5. Back weld reapir

 Note:- Refer Clause 10.3,10.3.1,10.3.2

Regards
Madhusoodhanan  Nair.G

Jayapal Bhukya

Feb 2, 2018, 11:42:05 PM2/2/18
to Materials & Welding
Dear Mr. Madhu,
It is not mandatory. It says if required (2013 edn).

Jayapal