Welding by SAW process is it mandatory for heavy thick vessels in H2 service

Prasad

Feb 27, 2016, 2:02:54 AM2/27/16
to Materials & Welding
Dear welding experts,

We are manufacturing heavy wall vessels for H2 service.
MOC SA 516 Gr 70. Thick 56 mm
Due to large size vessels are to be supplied in two sections.
Hence on site weld joint will have to be done at place of installation.
At shop we are using SAW process for welding.
At field rotating is not possible and we want to use SMAW process.
Our client is asking us to use SAW process for field weld joint also.

We know that SAW is semi automatic & more productive process.

My question is whether is their any restriction to use SMAW process.

Request experts to give their valuable views to convience client technically.

Best regards,

Prasad Ghanekar

Lakshman

Feb 27, 2016, 4:11:59 AM2/27/16
to material...@googlegroups.com

Hi friend,

There is no restriction to SMAW. (subjected to a qualified WPS)

Better you show the setup requirement for SAW to the client and let him understand, hope he will get convinced,.

Thanks & Regards,

Lakshman Kumar B,

+91 9440031459.

Tamil

Feb 27, 2016, 4:12:08 AM2/27/16
to Materials & Welding
Some company in india we use to have insitu SAW mechanines
On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 11:13 AM Tamil <thamizh...@gmail.com> wrote:
No restriction in welding process, however we have to convenience client or try SAW it situ methods

rudolf_jude

Feb 27, 2016, 4:25:13 AM2/27/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi
I have seen SAW process in horizontal position at site during construction of tanks. Hence SAW is possible.

Sent from my Samsung device

pavan kumar reddy Juturu

Feb 27, 2016, 4:25:35 AM2/27/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr.Prasad,

Few years ago we did the same job, it was an Autoclave SA516 GR 70 (50mm) with inside inconel 600 cladding (6mm) , length-36000mm was fabricated at work shop by SAW process in three pieces and tranported to site. There we assembled three pieces and carriedout welding by SMAW process--->copper sulphate solution test before overlay at landing---->RT taken for SA516 GR70------> overlay welding carried out and each layer was DP tested.

i think it is difficult to do SAW at site.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Pavankumar Reddy.

Prakash Hegde

Feb 27, 2016, 4:42:10 AM2/27/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
As such There is no restriction on the welding process required to be Used
However Due to higher productivity, Good weld finish and consistant acceptable weld quality Client might have insisted on SAW process to be used
In such case you can use SAw in 2G position (Which is more popular for Girth welding at Site
 2G SAW systems are available
Regards
Hegde

dili...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2016, 11:00:04 PM2/27/16
to Prasad
Almost 20 years ago I was in a tank farm project were field welds were performed by means of saw

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
Feb 28, 2016, 1:14:19 AM2/28/16
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear,

You can use any welding procedures at site as per difficulties,  subjected you shall provide an approved WPS/PQR  for that thickness limit..

Regards,
Mohammed.

Prakash Gotimukul

Feb 28, 2016, 5:47:59 AM2/28/16
to materials-welding
Hope you hv already mentioned this in ITP and hv approval of client, AI etc.

Rgds
Prakash Gotimukul
ASME AIS, Technical Manager ASME/ISO/PED

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Feb 29, 2016, 12:40:17 AM2/29/16
to materials-welding
SMAW is a time consuming and quality purely based on welder skill. SAW process is also available in Semi-Automatic process, it is gives better quality of weld, fast, aesthetic look

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, IWE,  AWS-CWI, CSWIP 3.1,
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY

anosh wankhade

Feb 29, 2016, 4:05:11 AM2/29/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
You may use SMAW with approved WPS and with expert welder but, as compared to SAW the productivity is too less, chances of defects are more, more workmanship required, more precise testing is required and no client will take chance for the delay and the quality.

Regards,

Anosh Wankhade

Get your own FREE website, FREE domain & FREE mobile app with Company email.
Know More >

Shashank Vagal

Feb 29, 2016, 4:05:20 AM2/29/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
There is no restriction, you are at full liberty to select any process suitable for your purpose, if, of course, you have an approved WPS.

BR,
Shashank C Vagal