Combining 2 PQRS

Lalit Malla

Jan 17, 2017, 7:30:51 AM1/17/17
to Materials & Welding
Dear Expert,

I am having 2 PQRs i.e.:
1. 2" Sch. 80 Pipe (thk.-5.54mm) - GTAW (70S-2)
2. 6" Sch. 160 Pipe (thk.-18.26mm) - SMAW (7018)

My question is: Can I combine these 2 PQRs for buiding up one more making new WPS for 8" Sch. 80 Pipe (thk.-12.70mm) using GTAW+SMAW (Root and hot with GTAW and filling and capping with SMAW)

Thanx in advance

John Henning

Jan 17, 2017, 11:35:28 AM1/17/17
to material...@googlegroups.com

NO - Per ASME IX.

--
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

hajarath ali

Jan 18, 2017, 12:28:34 AM1/18/17
to Materials & Welding
Alternative is prepare two WPS and use it in a single production joint combination of WPS is applicable ...
Reference ASME SEC IX QW 200.4

Manoj Singh

Jan 18, 2017, 10:24:39 AM1/18/17
to material...@googlegroups.com

Yes u can pls.refer sec Ix welding general requirement.

On 17 Jan 2017 9:35 pm, "John Henning" <jhen...@deltak.com> wrote:

NO - Per ASME IX.

prashant pansare

Jan 18, 2017, 10:54:52 AM1/18/17
to material...@googlegroups.com
Check qualification limit for dia as per Sec IX.

John Henning

Jan 18, 2017, 11:47:43 AM1/18/17
to material...@googlegroups.com

Note:

Diameter is not an essential or non-essential variable for procedure qualification.

Diameter is an essential variable for weldor performance qualification.

Therefore not applicable to the question.

John Henning

Jan 18, 2017, 11:52:30 AM1/18/17
to material...@googlegroups.com

Yes you can combine them.

NO it will not meet his requirements as you will be limited to the qualification thicknesses for base metal and weld metal of the GTAW process.  See QW-200.4(a)(1) and QW-200.4(a)(2).  His combined weld cannot be greater than 2T and 2t for the GTAW -  i.e. 11.04mm for both.  Thus, the root cannot be made on the 12.70mm thick weld.

Yes u can pls.refer sec Ix welding general requirement.

On 17 Jan 2017 9:35 pm, "John Henning" <jhen...@deltak.com> wrote:

NO - Per ASME IX.

dilintas

Jan 19, 2017, 5:52:12 AM1/19/17
to material...@googlegroups.com
Diameter is not a qualifying variable in ASME IX

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Ahmed Elgendy

Oct 26, 2019, 1:11:49 AM10/26/19
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear experts
is there any WPS for welding cast iron plate 29 cm thickness
regards,

Souravbohray

Oct 28, 2019, 5:32:40 AM10/28/19
to Materials & Welding
Mr John is right please reffer qw2004. B sec9