PWHT of blind flanges not having welding

Muhammed Ibrahim PK

Feb 28, 2022, 3:33:36 AM2/28/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Gentlemen,

Please advice PWHT required or not for small blind flanges also if the vessel is in sour service.The blinds having no welding on it.

As per my understanding PWHT is only for weld, not for base metal.

If welding on blinds like davit, manway handle can be justified. Is it required for other blinds not having any weld on it.

Experts please provide your view on it.

Reg,
Ibrahim

Gerry Lourens

Feb 28, 2022, 3:50:56 AM2/28/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
No Welding thus PWHT not required

 Kind Regards
Gerry lourens

Regards,

Gerry Lourens

Welding Engineer

M:   +27 62 192 1207

T:    +27 17 631 5282

F:    +27 (0)86 616 9701

E:    gerry....@newage-eng.com

A:    3 York Street, Evander, 2280

Al LaithKumunyack LogoThe VirtulabPrommac

Disclaimer Copy:

CG Africa Holdings(Proprietary) Limited (Company Number 2015/235049/07), herein referred to as CG Africa Holdings, is a South African company whose Registered Office is CG Africa Holdings Head Office: 845 16th Road, Midrand, Johannesburg. CG Africa Holdings has direct interests in Prommac (Company Number 2005/040679/07), New Age Engineering Solutions (Company Number 2017/165/330/07) and Kumunyack (Company Number 2015/400060/07).

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Our organization and all subsidiary group companies accept no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in a document signed by an authorized representative. No employee or agent is authorized to conclude any binding agreement or make any commitment on behalf of CG Africa Holdings and any associated group companies with another party by email without express written confirmation by an authorised Director.

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

james gerald

Feb 28, 2022, 10:30:24 PM2/28/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Normally I suppose vessel Blind Flanges are for temporary till transportation to site and moreover it shall meet the material standard as per Drawing or Design data sheet via a MTC.

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

james gerald

Mar 1, 2022, 5:06:34 AM3/1/22
to 'james gerald' via Materials & Welding
Also during shop & site Hydro Test.

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

Sourav Bohrays

Mar 1, 2022, 6:47:13 AM3/1/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear sir

PWHT - post   WELD  heat treatment
               Heat treatment after welding.

Blind doses not have anykind of seam

No need of hear treatment of blind which are bolted with flanges or anywere.

Pwht required to those only which are welding and as per rule of construction eg asme sec 8  div 1 ucs 56.

Recently i face the same problem but than i got clearance from client side no need of pwht to flanges which are bolted.

Secondly some handle ,lifting lug etc are also welded with blind for that we have to check weld size and check requirment as per code of construction as per type of weld and size of weld.

easily for understanding why we dnt put hardware during pwht that will be also.a part of vessel.

But check client specification once might be there written somewere about this.but as per code of construction i am sure i have gone through this no need of any pwht to material which are bolted to vessel and free of any type weld seam.

anthony chundal

Mar 1, 2022, 10:17:52 PM3/1/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
It is required for service requirements, even though there is no welding

Sourav Bohrays

Mar 1, 2022, 11:35:02 PM3/1/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
It is not required if code of construction and client specification doesnt write it anywere... no need of that

SN

Mar 3, 2022, 3:33:21 AM3/3/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

Can you please explain

What is the difference between MDMT and LST

Is MDMT(Minimum Metal Design Temperature ) and LST(Lowest Service Temperature) is same.

This concept is applicable  the exemption of Impact test requirements  as per UCS 66 and section III NF

Kindly clarify

Thanks.

james gerald

Mar 4, 2022, 3:18:37 AM3/4/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
MDMT is taken in a Totality the lowest temperature attained either due to Environment, Service temperature, upset conditions etc..

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Muhammed Ibrahim PK

Mar 6, 2022, 10:32:35 PM3/6/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr. Anthony,

Could you please mention any clause in ASME Sec VIII asking that PWHT of blind in service requirement?

Reg,
Ibrahim

Mohd Siraj

Mar 23, 2022, 7:12:53 AM3/23/22
to Materials & Welding
yes, require if blind is permanent attachment during service/No, if only for transportation.
add/attach during full vessel PWHT.

Jay Poojary

Mar 24, 2022, 5:37:11 AM3/24/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Agreed the PWHT is done for welding, however it is good engineering practice to have all part of equipment undergoing same heat treatment for uniform micro structure across all parts especially very good to practice this for equipment having NACE & sour service.
Even blind flange will come in contact with service fluid during process.

Discussed this case with many AI & all have same opinion, however do not find any code restrictions.
Also to be noted, we do local SR for some weld due to various reason.

Balakrishnan Srinivasan

Mar 27, 2022, 11:15:10 PM3/27/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Check the MTC of the blind flange, if it fulfills the requirement of sour service/ NACE, it might have been normalized at the fabrication shop. Then no need for PWHT as of best of understanding.

Warm Regards,
Balakrishnan S

james gerald

Mar 28, 2022, 2:36:39 AM3/28/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
I suppose except Manway, all blind flanges are temporary and it comes with a trunion attachment

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar