Suitability for wps

chris

Jul 8, 2020, 11:45:06 PM7/8/20
to Materials & Welding
Hi friends

I have made a wps in 3g as per AWS d1.1 , I was under the impression that if I qualify in 3g it will automatically be qualified for flat and horizontal.But it seems there is a code restriction for this and I can weld only 3g for production welds.
My doubt is if i make one more test coupon in 2g for the same wps and get it qualified will it work??
Or should I need to create a new wps jus for this 2g position ??

Thanks in advance
Chris

Regino Millan

Jul 9, 2020, 12:01:48 AM7/9/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
hi you should develop new wps for 2g because horizontal position 3G vertical position.

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Sandeep Pr

Jul 9, 2020, 7:26:26 AM7/9/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Chris,

There are 2 Options.

1) You can Weld an additional Test Coupon with  3G Position using qualified  3G WPS parameters. Then You can Carryout  onlyImpact Test as per Material Requirement/ Project Requirements. If Impact test results found satisfactory, WPS will be qualified for all Positions.

OR

2_You Can develop a New WPS for 2G Position which will qualifies Flat & Horizontal.

With Regards,

Sandeep.P.Raghavan

wilfred kojo

Jul 9, 2020, 11:54:53 AM7/9/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sandeep,
What is the reference code section to support the first option.

Chris Sabu

Jul 9, 2020, 11:54:58 AM7/9/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sandeep,

Thanks for the information, so if I would make one more PQR in the 2g position and do the mechanical test it would qualify for all position. Is there any Claude in aws d1.1 which mentions this? It would be very helpful for me.

Thanks and regards
Chris

--
THANKS AND REGARDS
CHRIS SABU

Shyam Krishnan A P

Jul 10, 2020, 12:07:03 AM7/10/20
to Materials & Welding
ear Chris,

In AWS D1.1 , Position is an essential variable for PQR(WPS). According to Table 6.1(of Ed 2020, Or in Table 4.1 of Ed 2015 ) , a PQR qualified in 2G will qualify for only F&H position and 3G  only for Vertical Position (Refer Table 6.19 of  Ed 2020).And hence you may need PQRs separately. Supplementary Impact test coupons may be prepared if you haven't  performed  Impact Test ( If you comply with all essential variables listed in Table 6.5 and Supplementary essential variables listed in table Table 6.7 of Ed 2020 ) to support existing PQR (refer Clause 6.26.3 of Ed 2020).

And  I think you were confused with Clause of AWS D1.1 Ed 2015 or earlier, Stated in Table 4.6 (Supplementary Essential variables for CVN application):          A change in position to vertical up. A 3G vertical up test qualifies for all positions and vertical down. Its very important to understand this clause also.This doesn't mean that a PQR tested in 3G position will qualify for all positions.Its meant that You need not Impact test (supplementary coupon) for a 2G PQR, If You have a PQR in 3G With Impact Tested Results provided, all Essential And Supplementary essential variables remains the same for Both PQR.ie You may use 2G PQR for Impact Applications even if You did not performed Impact test with help of 3G PQR .However even in Earlier editions of AWS D1.1 Production Positions qualified remains the same as that of Previous Paragraph.

Thanks & Regards

Ramesh

Jul 10, 2020, 12:07:22 AM7/10/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
To qualify all positions, u need to qualify in 2G+3G+4G
Refer Table 6.1 of AWS D1.1 2020 edn which is self explanatory.
image.png

Thanks and Regards

Rameshkannan Devaraj

"What you have learned is a mere handful; What you haven't learned is the size of the world – Avvaiyar"

ishwar kumar

Jul 10, 2020, 10:03:32 AM7/10/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Correct shyam agree with you and also we need to incorporate the 3G PQR (impact tested) no.+2G PQR no. in the new WPS for 2G position.

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

saikumar 21

Jul 10, 2020, 11:02:48 AM7/10/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I have a one doubt about production test coupen (ptc). After weld the ptc with horizantal or vertical joint What should I do?

1) without any tests of ptc.Can we do the welding of full vessel?
Or
2) complete all the tests of ptc ( tests like: SR,impact test,mechanical tests etc.) the results are all ok then we start the welding process of vessel

Please clarify the points i am new to the quality.

Thanks and regards

E.saikumar
Sri lakshmi prabha engg industries pvt ltd
Vishakapatnam
Andhra Pradesh.

syed kauser ahmed

Jul 11, 2020, 1:07:49 AM7/11/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
 According to 1104  what is the range for pqr and wqt

rajesh kaswala

Aug 10, 2020, 5:01:12 AM8/10/20
to material...@googlegroups.com

rajesh kaswala

Aug 10, 2020, 8:17:19 AM8/10/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
image.png

d 1.1

rajesh

Sandeep Pr

Aug 26, 2020, 5:18:17 AM8/26/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi  Chris,

Sorry for the late reply. If there any query exists, please let me know.

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Aug 26, 2020, 8:29:16 AM8/26/20
to materials-welding
3G will qualify all position with impact, could you pl give code ref. 2G & 3G will qualify only F<H<V

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, BE, IWE,  CSWIP 3.1,
ISO 9712 Level 2 in VT,
ASNT-Level II in PT,MT,RT & UT,
LA ISO 9001-2015,
International Welding Engineer.
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY
Mobile no: +919940739349

Zacharias Rohith Joseph

Sep 18, 2020, 6:24:20 AM9/18/20
to Materials & Welding
Dear Mr Krishnan,
Are you sure about the table 6.19 in D1.1 ed2020, because i have attached a copy the list of tables from my d1.1 copy ed2020. There is no such table 6.19.

List of Table - D1.1 ed2020.pdf