Ferrite No 7 to 8

Vinay Thattey

May 26, 2020, 1:51:00 AM5/26/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends ;  For some technical reasons the expected ferrite   after completion of circumferential welding for SS to SS ( ASTM-A -240 SS 316 rolled pipe )  is 7 to 8 . We R using 308L / 316 L filler and obtained result is max 5 . pl advice .

Dinesh Somwanshi

May 26, 2020, 12:30:47 PM5/26/20
to materials-welding
Dear sir, API 582 defines range of FN 5.

Again it's based on fabrication influence on welded part checking.

Regards

Dinesh

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Ramin Kondori

May 29, 2020, 11:46:48 AM5/29/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
You've made a mistake by using 308L filler metal.
Change the WPS and use only 316L filler metal.

Ramin  Kondori
Sr. QA/QC & Welding Engineer
PG-Dip. in Welding Engineering (IWE  AT  0070)
BSc. in Civil Engineering (IUT)
BGAS Painting Inspector
ASNT Level I&II

IIW-Logo-Colour-small

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 10:20 AM Vinay Thattey <vinay....@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Friends ;  For some technical reasons the expected ferrite   after completion of circumferential welding for SS to SS ( ASTM-A -240 SS 316 rolled pipe )  is 7 to 8 . We R using 308L / 316 L filler and obtained result is max 5 . pl advice .

Vinay Thattey

May 30, 2020, 1:46:11 AM5/30/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
I understand 316L with higher chrome will result in better ferrite. But specifications calls for 308L.