Suitable welding electrode for IS 2707 Gr 2_Q & T

Mohammed Asan K S

Nov 23, 2020, 8:47:16 AM11/23/20
to Materials & Welding
Dear Sirs,,

We required the welding electrode for subjected grade and procedure for welding on the castings.
Already the job was welded by E9018M and found low hardness after quenching the job. To reach the 50 HRC, what is welding electrode to be used?

Thank you

Ramin Kondori

Nov 23, 2020, 10:20:53 PM11/23/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Correction
Dear Mohammed,

After welding, did you only carry out the Quenching heat treatment...?
What about the "Tempering" part...?

Ramin  Kondori
Sr. QA/QC & Welding Engineer
PG-Dip. in Welding Engineering (IWE  AT  0070)
BSc. in Civil Engineering (IUT)
BGAS Painting Inspector
ASNT Level I&II

IIW-Logo-Colour-small

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Mohammed Asan K S

Nov 23, 2020, 11:35:33 PM11/23/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sir,

Tempering also done after quenching.

Actually,  we supplied with N & T conditions as cast and 240 BHN max.
After receipts, our customer doing QT and moving Induction hardening. Thats is their process and required 50 HRC max finally.

Best Rgds,

K S Mohamed Asan

Aditya Gujar

Nov 24, 2020, 5:59:48 AM11/24/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mohamed Sir,

During the tempering process the hardness of the cast steel is being reduced to achieve toughness in the metal. So this means, In order to achieve 50HRc hardness you will need to use 52-55 Hrc hardness electrodes initially. Later in the tempering process, you may be able to reduce the hardness to 50HRc. As mentioned by you, E9018M electrode belongs to a low hydrogen grade family with hardness 30-35 HRc (Max on 2nd layer). Before I could be able to suggest a suitable electrode, can you please clear the doubts below?

1. What is the application of this cast steel part? Will it be subjected to metal to metal friction or impact or abrasion?
2. How many layers of hardfacing is recommended on the cast steel?

Some hardfacing electrodes exhibit work hardening properties which are great against the metal to metal friction. There are numerous choices available in 50HRc hardfacing but selection of the suitable electrode is important.

Regards,

Aditya Gujar
Essen Welding Alloys Pvt. Ltd.,
Pune- India