Defects in welding

Aditya Gujar

Jul 11, 2021, 10:15:22 PM7/11/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Experts,

We are facing defects in the stainless steel welding as per attached images, kindly let me know what could be the reason.

Please note below information,

Consumable type: SMAW
Grade:E309LT1-1
Base metal: E309L plate
Co2 gas flow: 15-18
V: 28V
Current: 180-200 amps

Same batch of flux cored wire E309LT1-1 has worked just fine on the other jobs with similar applications.

Thanks in advance.

Aditya Gujar

---
PHOTO-2021-07-10-16-43-56 (1).jpg
PHOTO-2021-07-10-16-43-56.jpg

Rudresh Bipinbhai

Jul 12, 2021, 12:52:52 AM7/12/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Gujar

Try increasing the stick out to 25 -30 mm and decrease the volts to 27 and also check the gas flow at the outlet of the torch near the contact tip if its really 15-18.

If the formulation is correct than there could be humid powders in the flux and improper lubrication could be the reason of these gas marks or pores. Also check if the wire is feeding constantly or its sleeping.

Regards

Rudresh Patel
Sao Paulo
Brazil

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Harish Kannepalli

Jul 12, 2021, 12:52:52 AM7/12/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
   At the outset, it looks to be defect due to skill of welder.

Regards,
Harish Kumar

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Jul 12, 2021, 12:52:52 AM7/12/21
to materials-welding
Process--FCAW?

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, BE, IWE,  CSWIP 3.1,
ISO 9712 Level 2 in VT,
ASNT-Level II in PT,MT,RT & UT,
LA ISO 9001-2015,
International Welding Engineer.
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY
Mobile no: +919940739349

Vishwas Keskar

Jul 12, 2021, 1:26:12 AM7/12/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
THope.this question is from India.
This is called Warm hole porosity.
This is typical surface defect of FCAW process and gets aggravated in moist environment.
Now a days there is rainy season in India .so atmosphere has a lot of moisture .
Pl specify Which brand is being used?

As I recall TASETO make wire are better when FCAW E309LT1 is used.

On Mon, 12 Jul 2021, 07:45 Aditya Gujar, <guja...@gmail.com> wrote:

james gerald

Jul 12, 2021, 5:03:50 AM7/12/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
These are normally called Wagon Tracks or Worm Hole in FCAW and is commonly occuring.

Can be avoided by below precautions.

1. by proper storing of flux cored wires in the packed condition and covered by a plastic bag and kept in dry condition under proper humidity control.

2. by controlling contact tip to work distance. Normally recommended 19-25mm but may be increased upto 32mm. Unlike short circuit transfer, by increasing the contact tip to work distance the flux in the electrode can be preheated with increased distance and avoids this defect.

3. too low a voltage can cause worm hole porosity and can be avoided by increasing the voltage.

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar