Tubes expansion beyond drum thickness.

Neeraj Yadav

Dec 25, 2020, 6:57:11 AM12/25/20
to Materials & Welding
Dear experts,

We are executing a project for 35 TPH Natural Gas fired Auxiliary Boiler designed for max. working pressure of 60 kg/cm2 and steam temperature of 392 Deg .Cel.

All water tubes of boiler are connected to steam( 63 mm Thk) & Mud drum(40mm Thk) with expanded design of construction.

In mud drum it is observed that tubes ( 51X4 mm) are expanded upto 30mm more than the drum thickness and indicating as bulged. we have checked the OD at bulged part and observed 1-2 mm flared and thickness around 3.5 mm

Kindly advise weather it is acceptable or we have to replace the se tubes with reference to code. Code of construction is ASME Sec-1/IBR.
IMG-20201225-WA0013.jpg

Vishwas Keskar

Dec 26, 2020, 2:44:34 AM12/26/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
What is  expansion % ?

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Neeraj Yadav

Dec 27, 2020, 12:02:01 AM12/27/20
to Materials & Welding

Min-8% to Max-20%

Prasad Ghanekar

Dec 28, 2020, 12:07:05 AM12/28/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Expanded beyond shell thickness is not acceptable. There will be a notch formation on tube at edge of shell. Tubes are likely to be sheared at this point.

Prasad G.

Vishwas Keskar

Dec 28, 2020, 12:07:08 AM12/28/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
20 %  expansion - seems on higher side. Normal is @8-12 %
Advice -
Check thinning  and find out tube thickness .
Check this much thk after thinning this much  is acc to Engineering .

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Dec 28, 2020, 12:31:55 AM12/28/20
to materials-welding
there is bulging immediate outside drum thickness, is it acceptable

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, BE, IWE,  CSWIP 3.1,
ISO 9712 Level 2 in VT,
ASNT-Level II in PT,MT,RT & UT,
LA ISO 9001-2015,
International Welding Engineer.
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY
Mobile no: +919940739349

Neeraj Yadav

Dec 28, 2020, 4:37:21 AM12/28/20
to material...@googlegroups.com

Any reference for expansion beyond drum thickness is not acceptable as per ASME Standards/IBR.

This is specifically mentioned in TEMA that expansion length shall be the tubesheet/drum thickness minus 1/8" (3.2 mm) and no expansion of tubes beyond drum/tubesheet thickness is acceptable.

However these standards are being followed for Heat exchangers (Heaters, condensers, coolers & re-boilers) only and our boiler is designed as per ASME Sec-1 and IBR.

--

Thanks & Regards

Neeraj Yadav

Vanchinath S.A.