Impact testing - V NOTCH CHARPY. Recommendation

Prats

Dec 4, 2023, 6:36:33 AM12/4/23
to Materials & Welding
Hello,

We have an impact testing requirement to be done on a pipe with an outer diameter of 60mm and a thickness of 5.5mm.

What specimen size should we select for the testing? As the standard "ASTM E23-23A" states, specimen size should be 55L x 10W x 10 thick. We are a bit confused regarding the specimen size...has anyone faced a similar issue? please recommend

Moreover, the specimen should sustain 27 J.

Please help.

Thanks & Regards
Prats

Pravin Kurade

Dec 4, 2023, 7:00:37 AM12/4/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
You can take subsize specimen provided take consideration of thickness reduction

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

james gerald

Dec 4, 2023, 7:00:37 AM12/4/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
A Charpy Impact test is not required for specimen thickness less than 2.5mm.

Subsize specimens can be machined from the Pipe OD 60mm and thickness 5.5mm. Please check with the Mechanical testing lab.

Please refer to ASME Sec.IIA section SA-370.

If specimen thickness exceeds 80% during machining from the original size, temperature reduction according to the Applicable Code shall be applied.

For subsize specimens Impact values refer to snap shot.

Inline image

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

Vishwas Keskar

Dec 4, 2023, 7:00:37 AM12/4/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
You can take subsize
Refer SA 370
3.3 or 2.5mm
Sent from my iPhone

On 04-Dec-2023, at 5:06 PM, Prats <prathame...@swastikindustriesindia.in> wrote:

Hello,

Prathamesh Patkar

Dec 5, 2023, 11:04:48 PM12/5/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir,

Thank you for the response.

I had one more query. Are there any acceptance criteria for minus temperature? eg... the specimen should sustain 12 J impact at -20c in order to qualify.

Thanks & Regards
Prathamesh S Patkar

james gerald

Dec 6, 2023, 10:23:26 AM12/6/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
Normally either from the Process or Mechanical Designer will provide the MDMT ( Minimum Design Metal Temperature) - it is the lowest temperature attained by the Material either due to Process conditions / Environmental conditions / upset conditions. So Impact testing has to be performed at MDMT.

Charpy Impact values for Full size specimen (10x10x55) will be specified either by the Design Code  or superceded by the Client specification if provided. Test Temperature MDMT.

A Snap shot of ASME B 31.3 is given as example below.

Inline image

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

james gerald

Dec 6, 2023, 10:23:27 AM12/6/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
Just to add. From your Question I assume you are using a code such as B31.3 which gives the requirement for the Material specification whether Impact testing is required based on the Job Thickness. In B31.3 there is a stress table which for carbon steels provide Grahs A B C D or the minimum temperature the material requires impact testing.

A snap shot provided below.

Inline image

Please also see the snapshot of Note 6 highlighted above.
Inline image

Snap shot of Curve

Inline image

Inline image

Subsize Charpy impact value provided in my  First mail

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar