VACUUM TEST FOR SOTRAGE TANKS ROOF AS PER API 650

manoj john

Jun 26, 2011, 2:25:52 AM6/26/11
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear All experts,

Please give me information about vacuum test of roof for storage tanks
as per API 650.

I am fabricating sotrage tanks as per API 650 with fixed roof with
open vent nozzle and designed for Atmospheric pressure.

My doubt is whether this tank roof require vacuum testing as per API 650.

Thanks and Best Regards.

John Abraham

Rajagopal Kannan

Jun 27, 2011, 6:31:24 AM6/27/11
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear John,
No, Roof do not require vacuum testing. If you have access to both the sides of roof, you can deploy and NDT for weld examination.
Thanks and best Regards,
K.Rajagopal

The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

thiruvenkata samy

Jun 27, 2011, 7:35:35 AM6/27/11
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

If you are fabricating the tanks with the open vents you must follow as per API 650,,7.3.7.2,which states below:

 Upon completion, the roof of a tank not designed to be gas-tight, such as a tank with peripheral circulation vents or a tank with free or open vents, shall receive only visual inspection of its weld joints, unless otherwise specified by the Purchaser.

Thanks and Regards,

Thiru.

Sivasubramanian S

Jun 27, 2011, 8:30:17 AM6/27/11
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear John,

If the roof is not having atmospheric vent, you have to test roof in following way mentioned in API 650 2010 7.3.7.1

7.3.7 Testing of the Roof

7.3.7.1 Upon completion, the roof of a tank designed to be gas-tight (except for roofs designed under 7.3.7.2, F.4.4, and F.7.6)

shall be tested by one of the following methods:

a. Applying internal air pressure not exceeding the weight of the roof plates and applying to the weld joints a bubble solution or

other material suitable for the detection of leaks.

b. Vacuum testing the weld joints in accordance with 8.6 to detect any leaks.

7.3.7.2 Upon completion, the roof of a tank not designed to be gas-tight, such as a tank with peripheral circulation vents or a

tank with free or open vents, shall receive only visual inspection of its weld joints, unless otherwise specified by the Purchaser.

For B, its simple to do Vacum box test

For A, you can make the internal pressure ( By U tube manometer, may be it will be 50 or 60 mm of water column) during the hydrotest.

With regards,

S. Sivasubramanian.

Apr 14, 2017, 1:35:03 AM4/14/17
to Materials & Welding
Dear Experts,

we are fabricating a dome roof oil tank with atmospheric venting this vent connected to the flame arrester, in this case, roof air test is required or not???

Vinod Bhatt

Apr 14, 2017, 8:24:57 AM4/14/17
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear,

To best of my knowledge - YES the air test of vented roof too is required. Let us both wait for some expert responses.

Good day.

Best Regards,

Vinod Bhatt

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 10:42 AM, Pinto Antony <pintoa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Experts,

we are fabricating a dome roof oil tank with atmospheric venting this vent connected to the flame arrester, in this case, roof air test is required or not???

The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/materials-welding/8f9fe7d7-0fdd-447c-81d3-434e99b666e6%40googlegroups.com.

Perumal Govindan

Apr 17, 2017, 9:35:51 AM4/17/17
to material...@googlegroups.com

Hi

Based on your information, the tank is not open to atmosphere, since there is a flame arrester will be installed. Hence roof pneumatic test is required.

Refer approved GAD and design calculation of Client for more clarity.

Regards
Govindan P

tugrulhan özdemir

Apr 21, 2017, 8:13:24 AM4/21/17
to material...@googlegroups.com
Mr.Pinto,

Please see below

Upon completion, the roof of a tank not designed to be gas-tight, such as a tank with peripheral circulation
vents or a tank with free or open vents, shall receive only visual examination of its weld joints, unless otherwise
specified by the Purchaser.

Note that :  A  bullet  (•)  at  the  beginning  of  a  paragraph  indicates  that  there  is  an  expressed  decision  or  action  required  of  the
Purchaser. The Purchaser’s responsibility is not limited to these decisions or actions alone. When such decisions and actions are
taken, they are to be specified in documents such as requisitions, change orders, data sheets, and drawings.

Dear Experts,

we are fabricating a dome roof oil tank with atmospheric venting this vent connected to the flame arrester, in this case, roof air test is required or not???

The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/materials-welding/8f9fe7d7-0fdd-447c-81d3-434e99b666e6%40googlegroups.com.

Pinto Antony

Apr 25, 2017, 9:25:40 AM4/25/17
to material...@googlegroups.com