PWHT thickness requirement as per ASME B 31.3 2014

S.Mohammed

Sep 1, 2015, 4:42:11 AM9/1/15
to Materials & Welding
Dear all,

As old ASME B31.3-2012  we know it was above 19mm req pwht,

now i read ASME B31.3-2014,little confused me with pwht exemption and pwht requirements and control thickenss 331.1.3?

q1- what is thik req for pwht for P1 as per b31.3 2014 ?

q2 : for P1,mentioned more than 25mm thk and 95C preheat exemption from pwht so less than 25mm not require pwht ?

regards,
mohd.

Raghuram Bathula

Sep 1, 2015, 5:03:14 AM9/1/15
to Materials-Welding
PWHT is exempted for all thicknesses and weld types of P-No 1 base material, subjected to meeting the requirements of  Notes in Table 331.1.3 (such as preheat and multiple layer welds...).

Siva Chidambaram

Sep 2, 2015, 1:04:03 AM9/2/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
HI Mohd,

As per ASME B31.3 Edition2014, there is the exception for PWHT for P1 Carbon steel materials.

A1.: Regardless of thickness, no PWHT for P1 Carbon steel Material if they meet the Limitation mentioned on the Table 331.1.3.

A2.: For carbon steel thickness > 25mm thickness, preheat of 95deg is an limitation for P1 material for avoiding PWHT.

Regards,

M. Sivachidambaram.
QHSE ENGINEER
GATES ENGINEERING & SERVICES.

Dinesh Kumar

Sep 2, 2015, 10:21:59 AM9/2/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

Presently i dont have B31.3_2014 Edition, can some one please send the page which exempts P1 Materials of all thickness from PWHT.

Thanks,
Dinesh

On 1 September 2015 at 12:24, S.Mohammed <mohd...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear all,

As old ASME B31.3-2012  we know it was above 19mm req pwht,

now i read ASME B31.3-2014,little confused me with pwht exemption and pwht requirements and control thickenss 331.1.3?

q1- what is thik req for pwht for P1 as per b31.3 2014 ?

q2 : for P1,mentioned more than 25mm thk and 95C preheat exemption from pwht so less than 25mm not require pwht ?

regards,
mohd.

Siva Chidambaram

Sep 3, 2015, 12:09:30 AM9/3/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Kindly find the attachment for  Exemption on PWHT as per ASME B31.3.

Regards,
M. Sivachidambaram

ASME B31.3 2014 exemption to pwht.jpg

MW

Sep 5, 2015, 5:53:32 AM9/5/15
to Materials & Welding
ASBA has issued information bulletin to bring awareness and provide guidance to designers, owners and fabricators regarding the use of ASME B31.3-2014 Process Piping which was published 27 February 2015.
pl. refer to the link

GrazG

Nov 17, 2015, 4:37:16 AM11/17/15
to Materials & Welding
I confirm for ASME B31.3-2014 all tickness of Group P1 the PWHT is not required. The only prescription is the PREHEAT at 95 °C for thickness >25 mm.
This is my interpretation, correct me if i'm wrong!

Vino Varghese

Nov 17, 2015, 10:23:03 PM11/17/15
to material...@googlegroups.com

Adding to it-"if End User or Service requirement states, then PWHT shall be required and to be identified in drawing or applicant documents".

Regards, Vino

THET NAING TUN

Jul 11, 2016, 4:58:51 AM7/11/16
to Materials & Welding
My understanding is

ASME B31.3 2014 comes to be more stringent,
Less than 5mm, PWHT is required.
More than 5mm, PWHT can be exempted if Multi-lay welded. (In my point of view, each pass can assist heating to bottom layer)
More than 25 mm, PWTH can be exempted if Preheat is conducted.

Sarvan Srivastava

Sep 26, 2016, 6:10:09 AM9/26/16
to Materials & Welding

Dear All Remember now  as per new B 31.3 now this is clear no PWHT is required if Preheat is carried out at temp.-95 Degree centigrade.

But remember one more thing if during pipe welding if inter pass could not be maintained and it have been postponed for next day then again the required temp. for welding have to be maintained.

    but in case any drawing or specifically any client demands for it then it's between purchaser and manufacturer

   Animesh Srivastava
Linde Engineering India Pvt Ltd.

regards,

George Dilintas

Sep 26, 2016, 7:03:08 AM9/26/16
to Meghanadh K
THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN ALREADY DISCUSSED IN THE FORUM

--
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

Dr. Georgios Dilintas,
Dipl. Ing. In Aeronautic and Space Engineering
Ph.D in Mechanics of Solids - Computational Mechanics
A.I.S, A.N.I, IRCA Lead Auditor
Welding, Stress Analysis, Corrosion, QA/QC, Failure Analysis, Risk Analysis