Orifice Flange and run pipe mismatch

Anthony Dalisay

Nov 21, 2022, 11:56:43 PM11/21/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Experts,

Greetings to all of you.

We got a situation in the project where the following observation has been found.

1. pipe - CS 10" dia.
2. orifice flange SS - 10" dia. - Flange has a long protrusion of the neck towards the bevel end that gets inside the pipe. see attached picture - red mark is where the pipe ends landed.

image.pngimage.png

The joint has been welded with the result as shown in the picture below.
image.png

The decision is to weld the pipe despite the overlap. The production proceeded the welding activity without trimming the flange end (by machining or grinding as we suggested) to meet the same surface level of the run pipe. After welding the joint went thru RT and passed the test.

We consulted the design engineer for this reason but no concrete decision was made so the client production team gave final disposition to proceed with welding.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter. What do you think? what would be your recommendation? what problem do you think this would bring in the plant operation? did you ever encounter the same issue before? if so, what did you do? if not, what would you have done differently?

Best Regards,

Anthony D. Dalisay

Jenish Mistry

Nov 22, 2022, 12:34:39 AM11/22/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear sir,

I don't think your welding procedure Qualified for such kind of welding groove design.

I think it will always be doubt on joint Integrity .

I think you should try mock up as same as welded above mentioned joint & go for Destructive test as per Client specification & Construction Code .

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Anthony Dalisay

Nov 22, 2022, 2:45:07 AM11/22/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jenish,

That is actually a good point having no procedure not qualified for the grove in actuality.

Also, during in service I have a doubt that this will have effect on the fluid flow and the issue will raise later on itself.

--
Best Regards,

Anthony D. Dalisay
Welding Inspector Level II - CSWIP 3.1
ASNT-SNT-TC-1A Level II (PT,MT,UT)
ISO 9001:2015 Internal Auditor

Sham Shahabuddin -Welding Inspector, HANBO

Nov 22, 2022, 3:14:14 AM11/22/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir,

As Mr. Jenish said the strength of the joint need to be verified using mechanical test for the integrity of the joint as Quality wise the joint is passed in RT.

Regards
Sham Shahabuddin

Chip Frizzell

Nov 22, 2022, 10:38:40 PM11/22/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
What is the wall thickness/schedule of the pipe?
From the picture, it seems that the flange is 8” XXH bore and the pipe is 10”.
There should be no way that a 10” pipe would fit over a 10” flange as you describe.
Verify size of flange and verify the pressure MAWP of the system.

Thanks,

Chip Frizzell

Construction Manager

CWI / ASNT NDT LVL III / CRI / NACE CIP LVL 2-Certified

Price is what you pay-value is what you get.
Seldom does the lowest price result in the best value!

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 21, 2022, at 10:56 PM, Anthony Dalisay <anthony...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

M.Sathiya Narayanan

Nov 23, 2022, 12:06:42 AM11/23/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi dear

This shows people's and quality systems to be evaluated and improved,

Responsibility matrix should be aligned with quality systems

For the findings

In general this kind of joint not acceptable because of welding, weld joint NDT, stress, corrosion, piping, instrumentation point of view also

for the worst condition

Below teams shall be involved to discussed about how to over come
Welding
Piping
Instrumentation
Corrosion
Stress

Regards
Sathiyanarayanan

AGUSTIN JIMENEZ

Nov 23, 2022, 2:10:32 AM11/23/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
I recommend you machine the neck of the flange and take it to the same size, the neck will be shorter but thicker.

Atentamente
Agustin Jimenéz

G Gughan

Nov 29, 2022, 10:17:19 PM11/29/22
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear Sirs,

                   The joint type is incorrect. Being an orifice flange for the location, the required flow should be attained per the design.  This type of joint may bring a pressure drop in that particular section. If the pipe size is correct, you are permitted to machine the length of the hub to fit. Ensure minimum flow for the location.

Thanks,

Kind Regards,

G. Gughan

maheshQAQC

Nov 30, 2022, 10:18:36 PM11/30/22
to Materials & Welding
Dear Anthony D. Dalisay,
My Assumption/understanding is  similar to Chip Frizzell, and no such thing that same size pipe and fitting  will be as shown in picture unless unequal.
pls re verify the pipe sizes and if unequal fitting are used propose reducing fitting such as reducer and get approval from engineering dept to avoid all welding related issues during routine maintenance.

thanks
Mahesh