Acceptance of PMI

Mohit Aggarwal

Feb 12, 2015, 10:00:54 PM2/12/15
to materials-welding, pgoswami

Dear Experts,

We have done PMION weld joint of INCONEL625 i.e. ENiCrMo-3
Found
Ni -61, Cr-24.6, 25.6, Mo-8.5, Nb -3.37,

Now, As per procedure & code i. e.
Sec II C Cr range is 20-23 given
all other elements are in range.
And PMI analyzer also display Inconel 625.
Please confirm whether it is acceptable or not i.e. chromium %

Best Regards,
Mohit Aggarwal.

pradip kumar Sil

Feb 12, 2015, 11:11:49 PM2/12/15
to materials-welding
Follow PFS standard, 10% bilateral tolerance on parent material & 12.5 % tolerance  on weld material.
Chk composition on ASME SEC II

Saravanan Sornam

Feb 13, 2015, 12:55:17 AM2/13/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Experts,

based on the below conversation,

incase a fabricator owns a PMI machine,

what will be the Tolerance for chemical elements ( base metal and Weld metal )  and what is the accuracy level for calibrating the PMI machine.

Regards,
Saravanan

Jignesh Desai

Feb 13, 2015, 3:04:46 AM2/13/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
For the tolerance on obtained element analysis below standards with relevant para may be referred to resolve the issue.

1. ASME Sec I - Appendix B, para B8.2  (± 10% of standard figure)
2. ASTM A 751 (Tolerance on product analysis)
3. PFI ES 24 (Para 9.3.1 & 9.3.2).- (± 10 for Base metal & ±12.5 for weld metal)

Regds/Jignesh

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 5:12 AM, Mohit Aggarwal <aggarwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Experts,

We have done PMION weld joint of INCONEL625 i.e. ENiCrMo-3
Found
Ni -61, Cr-24.6, 25.6, Mo-8.5, Nb -3.37,

Now, As per procedure & code i. e.
Sec II C Cr range is 20-23 given
all other elements are in range.
And PMI analyzer also display Inconel 625.
Please confirm whether it is acceptable or not i.e. chromium %

Best Regards,
Mohit Aggarwal.

Mohan Kumar

Feb 13, 2015, 10:52:46 AM2/13/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
PMI results should be considered only for validation and not as acceptance. If any doubt in chemical composition grind off few sample and send it to lab for chemical analysis.

Regards
Mohan

Regards
Mohankumar

Mohit Aggarwal

Feb 13, 2015, 11:09:45 PM2/13/15
to materials-welding

Dear Sir,
I have Checked ASME Sec.IIC after that only I have queried about.

Please let me know about bilateral tolerance for weld,where it is given in SecIIC

Best Regards,
Mohit Aggarwal.