WPQ of single process having combination PQR

Brijesh Maurya

Feb 25, 2022, 11:08:54 PM2/25/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
I have PQR of GTAW + SMAW process for P1G2 to P1G2 (SA516 GR.70 to SA516 GR.70)
PQR Plate thickness = 10 mm
GTAW welded = 4 mm
SMAW welded = 6 mm
WPS range qualified = 1.5 to 20 mm.

Now, My query is, can i use this WPS for WPQ by GTAW process only?
I want to qualify my welder on 1/2"NB X SCH 160 (4.78 THK) pipe with only GTAW process using this WPS.

Kindly Clarify Experts........

Regards,
Brijesh Maurya

Anup N K E

Feb 26, 2022, 1:52:16 AM2/26/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Seperate WPS for GTAW process to be prepared and approved using the available PQR for GTAW + SMAW .

Thickness range qualified for this WPS for GTAW process will be 1.5mm to 8mm with which WPQ can be done on 4.87 mm thick pipe.

Regards,
Anup
--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Ponnikumar

Feb 26, 2022, 1:52:22 AM2/26/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brijesh,
For your query GTAW  process only for  4.78 mm as per sec ASME SEC IX code min 1.5 to 2T for process yes we can use PQR but WPS need to do. Hopely your job not required impact test if not above details ignore

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Jenish Mistry

Feb 27, 2022, 10:35:07 PM2/27/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear sir ,

As per ASME SEC.IX QW-200.4 (B) for combination of welding procedure base metal thickness should be at least 13 mm thick or more .
Than How you Qualified PQR with less thickness (10 mm thk ) as for Combination of Process ?

Regarding your query :

As  attached snap QW-451 ASME SEC.IX  , Maximum Weld Metal Thickness Qualified : 8 mm  .
You can use that PQR for WPQ of GTAW welding except above remark. ( Separate WPS to be prepare )

image.png

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Thanks for your best support.

Regards,
Jenish Mistry

Vishwas Keskar

Feb 27, 2022, 10:35:07 PM2/27/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
You can use

pradip kumar Sil

Feb 27, 2022, 10:57:29 PM2/27/22
to materials-welding

George Dilintas

Mar 3, 2022, 10:30:53 AM3/3/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Yes you do

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Dr. Georgios Dilintas,
Dipl. Ing. In Aeronautic and Space Engineering
Ph.D in Mechanics of Solids - Computational Mechanics
A.I.S, A.N.I, IRCA Lead Auditor
Welding, Stress Analysis, Corrosion, QA/QC, Failure Analysis, Risk Analysis

Brijesh Maurya

Mar 6, 2022, 10:32:33 PM3/6/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
Thanks for your valuable reply.

 On to your questions Mr. jenish Mistry sir, I have directly qualified combination welding on test coupon.
13 mm thk requirement is for combining two WPS.

Regards, Brijesh Maurya