PWHT and Hydrotest

Shahil Saini

Jan 19, 2022, 3:05:38 AM1/19/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

If 4-5 mm welding is performed in the 32 mm thick material, is PWHT & Hydro required or not or can I skip PWHT and Hydro? any clause related to this??

Regards,
Shahil Saini
PGET-Welding

Karthik

Jan 19, 2022, 3:25:38 AM1/19/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
As per Table UCS56-1- Note (b) of Section VIII,Div.1 , for 32mm to 38mm thickness PWHT is not mandatory as below. But hydrostatic test to be done as per the drawing & Design requirements.

GENERAL NOTES:
(a) When it is impractical to postweld heat treat at the temperature specified in this Table, it is permissible to carry out the postweld
heat treatment at lower temperatures for longer periods of time in accordance with Table UCS-56.1.
(b) Postweld heat treatment is mandatory under the following conditions:
(1) for welded joints over 11/2 in. (38 mm) nominal thickness;
(2) for welded joints over 11/4 in. (32 mm) nominal thickness through 11/2 in. (38 mm) nominal thickness unless preheat is
applied at a minimum temperature of 200°F (95°C) during welding. This preheat need not be applied to SA-841 Grades A and
B, provided that the carbon content and carbon equivalent (CE) for the plate material, by heat analysis, do not exceed 0.14%
and 0.40%, respectively, where

Thanks& Regards,

(Karthik)
Karthikeyan.S
M: +66-892512282

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Avanish Singh

Jan 19, 2022, 5:24:43 AM1/19/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
If our Nominal Thickness Exceed by 38 mm, Then we have to perform PWHT,
For Nominal Thickness Definition See UW-40

Thanks & Regards
Avanish Kumar Singh

Vinay Thattey

Jan 19, 2022, 10:15:31 PM1/19/22
to material...@googlegroups.com, sainis...@gmail.com
For Hydro check your specification and system design requirement ... Can not skip ..

Jenish Mistry

Jan 19, 2022, 10:57:58 PM1/19/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear sahil,

Good Morning.

Please give more details about your question.

If i am not wrong than have you done buttering on 32 Thk Plate ???

--
Thanks for your best support.

Regards,
Jenish Mistry
09033476117

Shahil Saini

Jan 19, 2022, 11:39:52 PM1/19/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
yes jenish, i am talking about buttering,
Below attached figure will clear my question to you.

IMG_20220119_171023.jpg

Jenish Mistry

Jan 20, 2022, 1:35:03 AM1/20/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear sahil ,

As per ASME UW -42 (Surface weld build up) ,
1. You should have qualified procedure for Butt Joint.
2. If you performed Buttering than you should go for NDT (Either MPT or LPE Test) on buttering area .

For Hydro Test ,
As per UG - 99 ,Hydro Test shall be performed after completion of all the fabrication work & NDT work .
You again need to perform Hydro Test to comply code requirement.

For PWHT ,
Please provide Material Grade for further detail.