WPS DIAMETER CALCULATION.

NIKHIL THOMAS JOY

Oct 31, 2020, 2:55:28 AM10/31/20
to Materials & Welding
Dear Experts,

Greetings of the day.

I have a doubt regarding the WPS preparation.

I have prepared one PQR of GTAW+SMAW in P22 material of size 6 inch.

But in wps the qualified diameter what I should write as per asme sec 9 , qw-200.

Is this can qualified for all the diameter?
Should i need to write any diameter range in wps.

Even though the thickness range is 5 to 2T.

Experts please advise me.

Manikandan J

Oct 31, 2020, 3:11:59 AM10/31/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Diameter is the non essential variable

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Hany Nabil

Oct 31, 2020, 3:42:59 AM10/31/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir,

You can put Diameter : All in WPS because the diameter is non essential variable.

Also, for welding qualification as per ASME-9 QW-400 not QW-200 (since QW- 200 for welder qualification).

Thanks & Regards
Hany Nabil

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

 Best Regards,

 Eng. Hany Nabil
 Senior Welding Engineer
 Petrofac
 Engineering and Production Service
 Egypt Mobile: 002-01225622022

This message, including any attachments, may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, or authorised to receive information on behalf of the recipient, please contact the sender by reply email, and delete all copies of this message. While we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure that this message and any attachments are free from viruses, we cannot guarantee that they are virus free and accept no liability for any damage caused by this message or any attachments. Messages sent or received through our networks may be monitored to ensure compliance with the law, regulation and/or our policies.

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Oct 31, 2020, 10:09:21 AM10/31/20
to materials-welding
Any

Jamie Reyes

Oct 31, 2020, 10:09:21 AM10/31/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Greetings. I suggest leaving the diameter range blank. It does not need to be mentioned on a WPS per ASME IX. Reason being, if you happen to suggest, Let’s just say, a diameter range of “UNLIMITED” on your WPS, and during production there is material in the form of pipe that meets the diameter range specified, but at the same time is less than or greater in thickness than what is allotted. The weldor could assume that he or she is in the right, due to staying within the diameter range specified, but failed to stay within the specified thickness range. The thickness range qualified takes precedents. The weldor, in most cases, will not know this and in doing so will fail to meet critical aspects of the WPS, unwittingly.
Example: WPS per ASME IX specified thickness range is 1/16” to 1/2”. The specified diameter range is “UNLIMITED.” During production, weldor, welds on 24” NPS x (SCH80) 1.219” Wall. The weldor will feel that he or she is in the right because of the fact that the diameter range is specified as “UNLIMITED.” Can you see how this might be confusing and unknowingly cause an issue that results in the WPS not being followed correctly?  You might say to yourself, the persons following the qualified WPS should conform to the thickness range specified, but in my experience I’ve seen this scenario play out on more than one occasion. I personally leave this subject matter blank for any qualifying ASME IX WPS, and I always suggest this because of the very scenario that is mentioned above. I hope this makes sense to you, I don’t know if I conveyed it correctly or not so that you may understand the point that I’m trying to make. Cheers.....

Jamie Reyes
J.R. Machine Company, Inc.

Vinay Thattey

Nov 1, 2020, 5:36:36 AM11/1/20
to material...@googlegroups.com, nikhil.t...@gmail.com
Dear Nikhil ;We qualify for thickness range . Diameter is not essential

George Dilintas

Nov 2, 2020, 4:00:23 AM11/2/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Diameter is not an essential variable for procedure qualification in ASME IX