ASME IX - Welder's qualification Thickness range

Zakaria ghrab

Mar 9, 2011, 12:13:49 PM3/9/11
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

  As per ASME sect IX table QW-452-1(b), for welder's qualified in test coupon thickness greater or equal than 13 mm, he's will be qualified to wed thickness " Maximum to be welded"

May my interpretation is true ??
In this case, Can i  qualify all welder's in 13 mm thickness, he will be qualified for all thick ( PWHT is not essential variable for welders) and cover all thickness range ?

Regards

--
زكرياء غراب
GHRAB Zakaria

VENKATA SWAMI REDDY KARRI

Mar 9, 2011, 11:10:46 PM3/9/11
to material...@googlegroups.com
yes you are right

2011/3/9 Zakaria ghrab <zakari...@gmail.com>
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

--

Best Regards,

K.V.S.Reddy,
Q.C.Inspector(Piping&Welding),
BS-132 Project,
SKEC Eng& Con Ltd.,
Postbox no-55653,
Sabahiya-54567,
Kuwait.
kvsre...@gmail.com,karrysw...@yahoo.com,
Ph:00965-94414396.
PleaseSave a tree. Don't print this e-mail unless it's really necessary

Prakas...@akersolutions.com

Mar 9, 2011, 11:17:53 PM3/9/11
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Yes you are right but it is only applicable for Thickness of Weld Metal Qualified with minimum of three layers.

--
With Warm Regards,
Prakash Verma

Mar 10, 2011, 12:09:58 AM3/10/11
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friend,

You are correct.

As per this particular clause no. 1 to 12 mm means 2t weld metal deposition and 13 and higher means maximum to be qualified.

Regards,
Shaunak

2011/3/9 Zakaria ghrab <zakari...@gmail.com>
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

Shaunak Upadhyay,
Mo:- 09662519411

John Henning

Mar 10, 2011, 10:07:14 AM3/10/11
to material...@googlegroups.com

You are correct, provided only a single welding process is used to weld the coupon.  The requirement is for the weld process to deposit a thickness of ½” (13mm) or greater.

If you welding pipe or tube, you must also consider the groove weld diameter limits table, QW-452.3.

As an example,  I often want to qualify a welder to perform pipe welding with a GTAW root and hot pass  followed by FCAW to fill the joint.  Therefore, a 13mm coupon will not be sufficient to get unlimited thickness qualification for the FCAW process.  As I am satisfied with a minimum 2-7/8” (73mm) diameter qualification, I will use either a 6 inch – Schedule 160 or schedule XX coupon and specify that there be a minimum of ½ in. (13mm) of joint left unwelded after completion of the GTAW portion.  The welder will be qualified for 2tGTAW  and unlimited for FCAW.

Note that corrosion resistant overlay, hard facing overlay, and temper bead welding have their own qualification rules.  Tube-to-tubesheet welding will be qualified unless demonstration or mock-up testing is required per QW-193 by Code section or customer specification.  {Section VIII, Division 2, Article F3 has been replaced by QW-193, QW-288, QW-303.5}

Let me know if you have additional questions.

John

Mar 10, 2011, 6:47:22 AM3/10/11
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir,

Your interpretation is true within the limits of your applicable qualified WPS. E.G. if your applicable WPS is qualified for max thickness 20 mm and your welder has welded 16 mm thk test coupon then the "Maximum to be welded" thikness is 20 mm.

Please note that you can not go beyond the applicable qualified WPS.

regards,
Martin.

Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 17:13:49 +0000

K.Babu

Mar 12, 2011, 9:17:29 AM3/12/11
to material...@googlegroups.com, Martin Prad
Hi Martin

If that is the case , we can't qualify the welder for unlimited thickness as the WPS has not qualified for unlimited thickness ?

In my opinion , "Maximum to be welded" indicates the unlimited thickness.

Regards

K.Babu

rinshad abdul rahman

Mar 12, 2011, 12:44:57 PM3/12/11
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Zakariya,

It is right but the welder should use the filler metal of same F number.

Regards

Rinshad A

muthu barathi

Mar 13, 2011, 4:58:32 AM3/13/11
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear Sir,
Your interpretation is correct and only condition is it shall be welded by using multi pass weld and not single pass weld. So dont confuse with the thickness and go ahead with 13 mm or greater and weld .

Thanking You,

Honesty is the best Policy

With Warm Regards,

Muthu Barathi P
Mobile No:00962788269821 (Jordan)
00962775401951

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 21:52:14 +0530 "K.Babu" <kbab...@gmail.com> wrote

Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 17:13:49 +0000

From: zakari...@gmail.com

Elshan Feyzullayev

Mar 14, 2011, 8:25:44 AM3/14/11
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi Babu,

I think Martin is correct on the thickness wise.
Please see as reference ASME IX 2001 QW 301.2.
If your WPS is qualified to do unlimited thickness and the test coupon which your welder has welded in fall to "inlimited thickness" category then the welder is qualified for "max to be welded" which means unlimited.

Your main reference should be the WPS which your welder is qualified to.

regards,
Elshan Feyzullayev.

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 22:17:29 +0800
From: kbab...@gmail.com
To: material...@googlegroups.com
CC: marti...@hotmail.com

John Henning

Mar 14, 2011, 1:37:26 PM3/14/11
to material...@googlegroups.com

Just to clarify:

The welder must work to a properly qualified WPS and PQR when taking his/her performance qualification test.  The welder must meet the requirements of this WPS with exception of permitted exclusions as stated in the Code (PWHT for example does not have to be done).

The welder’s qualified thickness range is independent of the performance test WPS used and is only based on the thickness of the deposited weld metal and the ranges of qualification per QW-452.1 (b).  You can also see this in the essential variables; QW-352 through QW-357, which have no base metal thickness requirements/restrictions.

So a welder can complete his performance qualification with a WPS limited to 1 inch (25mm) maximum base metal thickness on a material , say, ¾ inch (19mm) thick.  As long as he meets the other essential variables for the process (QW-352 through QW-357) he can weld to the maximum thickness stated on any other appropriate WPS.  He is not limited to a maximum of 2 inches deposit thickness based on the performance qualification base metal thickness.

Hope this helps – let me know if you have further questions.

John

Sedat Özyürek

Sep 4, 2013, 7:13:53 PM9/4/13
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,

What is the qualification thickness range as per ASME Sec. IX for the below ?

Process                           SMAW
Base Material Thickness   8mm
Pipe (Fixed)                     6 Inch
Filler Material                   F3 Rt / F4
Weld deposit thickness for each welding process ?
Welding Position              6G

Thanks

mub...@amcoweir.com

Sep 5, 2013, 12:38:55 AM9/5/13
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear sedat,

Your qualified range would be as below(Bold text)

Regards,
M.K.Mubeen

From:        Sedat Özyürek <ozyure...@gmail.com>
To:        material...@googlegroups.com
Date:        05-09-13 06:52 AM
Sent by:        material...@googlegroups.com

Dear Friends,

What is the qualification thickness range as per ASME Sec. IX for the below ?

Process                           SMAW
Base Material Thickness   8mm...............................................................(2T)................16mm.
Pipe (Fixed)                     6 Inch............................................................. 2-7/8" and above.
Filler Material                   F3 Rt / F4
Weld deposit thickness for each welding process ?..................................(2t).................By considering groove weld and single process, Max deposit thickness shall be 16mm.
Welding Position              6G...................................................................Qualified to weld in all positions.

John

From: zakari...@gmail.com

To:
material...@googlegroups.com

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm

The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.
For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

CONFIDENTIAL:

The information contained in this email (including any attachments) is confidential, subject to copyright and for the use of the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient please delete this message after notifying the sender. Unauthorised retention, alteration or distribution of this email is forbidden and may be actionable.

Attachments are opened at your own risk and you are advised to scan incoming email for viruses before opening any attached files. We give no guarantee that any communication is virus-free and accept no responsibility for virus contamination or other system loss or damage of any kind.

Octane Mac

Sep 5, 2013, 1:23:41 AM9/5/13
to material...@googlegroups.com
Agreed with Mubeen.
For F-number, he is qualified to weld with 1, 2 and 3 with backing and 4 with or without backing.
Check the P-number qualification range also.

Octane
Welder Qualifications.png

haitham gary

Sep 5, 2013, 1:16:40 AM9/5/13
to material...@googlegroups.com

the qualification thickness range as per ASME Sec. IX : see QW-451.1 table it is depend to test coupon thickness if it is 8mm the thickness range 1.5mm to 16mm

Haitham A. Aouda

Shivtej Shete

May 27, 2016, 1:23:10 AM5/27/16
to Materials & Welding
Hello,
Im actually curious about the ratio by which a Test Specimen is drawn from a Welded plate that is joined during Welder qualification test.
Means if we have given with a specific thickness and length, breadth Welded plate, then which size of test specimen to be produced from that jointed piece for Tension Test or guided bend test?
Help me with this.

Lakshman Kumar B

May 27, 2016, 1:35:24 AM5/27/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi refer to sec IX for no.of pieces and size of the pieces, accordingly we have to make the test pieces

Lakshman kumar.B
Project manager.
9440031459

The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.

George Dilintas

May 27, 2016, 10:55:27 PM5/27/16
to Meghanadh K
Rfr to fgr QW-462.2 & QW-462.3(a) and to the relevant foot notes

The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/materials-welding/76ce7772-7be2-41ba-ad66-130c16740a37%40googlegroups.com.

Dr. Georgios Dilintas,
Dipl. Ing. In Aeronautic and Space Engineering
Ph.D in Mechanics of Solids - Computational Mechanics
A.I.S, A.N.I, IRCA Lead Auditor
Welding, Stress Analysis, Corrosion, QA/QC, Failure Analysis, Risk Analysis

Mohamed Idrish

Feb 3, 2017, 2:28:48 AM2/3/17
to Materials & Welding
Hi

Procedure qualification / Welder qualification

What is the different between Thickness Sec IX , API1104 & D1.1

Renjith

Nov 13, 2017, 10:00:40 AM11/13/17
to Materials & Welding
Thanks for your answer.
I have a doubt, 13 mm thicknes Pipe welded by GTAW+SMAW, as per code minimum 3 layes are requied so if GTAW 2 pass and SMAW also 2 pass , so he cannot weld unlimited thickness na?

james gerald

Nov 13, 2017, 10:31:36 AM11/13/17
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear, welding process is an essential variable for welder qualification.hence NO

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

0091-9344954677

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.

Lakshmankumar Bayyana

Nov 14, 2017, 3:48:17 AM11/14/17
to material...@googlegroups.com
Yes,
In such case welder is not qualified for unlimited thickness.
The welder should deposit minimum 13 mm thickness of weld metal in one single process

Thanks and Regards
Lakshmankumar B
9440031459

Sent from my iPhone