API 650

chitko khaing

Jan 22, 2021, 3:47:51 AM1/22/21
to Materials & Welding
Dear all
 I am chit ko from Myanmar. i want to know " API 650 RT acceptance Criteria" refer to ASME VIII Division 1?

Raghuram Bathula

Jan 22, 2021, 3:51:02 AM1/22/21
to Materials-Welding
yes, read para 8.1.5

STEPHEN QM

Jan 22, 2021, 11:48:03 PM1/22/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
Isn't it 6.1.5 sir?

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Raghuram Bathula

Jan 22, 2021, 11:50:02 PM1/22/21
to Materials-Welding
pl. check latest edition (paragraph numbers may vary)

Pankaj Kolhe

Tamil

Mar 29, 2021, 6:55:23 AM3/29/21
to Materials & Welding

chandrakant mohikar

Mar 29, 2021, 11:50:38 AM3/29/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
Ref: API 650: 8.1.5 Radiographic Standards
Welds examined by radiography shall be judged as acceptable or
unacceptable by the standards of Paragraph UW-51(b) in Section
VIII of the ASME Code

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 2:17 PM chitko khaing

Ying Piu Ng

Oct 19, 2021, 11:28:04 PM10/19/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Experts,

I am working on the construction of aboveground circular steel water storage tank. The thickness of the shell plate measures 25mm.

I wonder if there is any limit on the shell plate thickness which requires 2 side welding. Look forward to your kind advice.

Regards
Patrick

Ying Piu Ng

Oct 19, 2021, 11:40:53 PM10/19/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
As an additional note, I am referring to submerged arc welding for horizontal seams and wonder if there is a limit on the shell plate thickness which requires 2-side welding.

Patrick

james gerald

Oct 20, 2021, 4:46:03 AM10/20/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
The welding may be performed using a Single sided Bevel or Double sided bevel and there is no specific requirement in API 650 except that it shall be Full penetration weld (complete penetration and complete fusion). see snap shot below.
Inline image

 Moreover the Welding code specified by API 650 is ASME Sec.iX which do not have any requirement
for Single sided/double sided  (for WPS/PQR requirement) See snap shot below

Inline image

  See some snap shots of API 650

Inline image
Inline image
 Please also see snap shot for permanent Backing.
Inline image

There are certain advantages and disadvantages without code restriction on using single sided / double sided Joint

1.  For higher thickness using double sided bevel results in Less Welding consumable consumption & cost.
2. incase if you use single sided bevel with Backing then to obtain complete penetration for double sided bevel back grinding/gouging is essential
3. If you use Automatic welding in 2G position then set-up arrangements for both sides are required.

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar