SMALL DIAMETER PROCEDURE QUALIFICATION AS PER ASME SEC IX

Vishwas Keskar Welding Manager WELDING

Mar 17, 2021, 11:07:46 PM3/17/21
to Materials & Welding
Dear Experts ,

PQR is to be qualified  for
6.35 mm OD X 0.89 mm thickness
Welding Process - Autogenous Fusion - GTAW Orbital WELDING
Code - ASME SEC IX
Material - SA 213 TP316L
Tensile test - 2nos
Face bend test - 2nos
Root bend test - 2nos
Full section tensile test is carried out and found satisfactory

Bend test samples can not be prepared due to less thickness(0.89mm) and small diameter (6.35mm).  Pipe Sectioning  as per permitted by ASME  for small diameter is tried  but could not do it .
When tried to  cut into sectioning for  bending test piece preparation , pipe is getting bent and sectioning is not possible .
 Experts , Pl. help how to go about bend testing or any other way forward

José Juan Jiménez Alejandro

Mar 18, 2021, 11:20:56 PM3/18/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
I think you are complicating your life more than necessary, to do the bending and tension tests that your PQR needs per ASME IX requirements, you can use a tube of greater diameter and thickness of the same P number or if you like the same material, that will allow you to do your tests without any problem or setback, that is completely valid and design and write your WPS according to: thickness (0.89mm) and small diameter (6.35mm), your laboratory tests do not have to be strictly under these parameters: thickness (0.89mm) and small diameter (6.35mm).
Greetings!.

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Ing. José Juan Jiménez Alejandro

Independent Consultant in Parts

and Pressure Equipment

SUMMIT MÉXICO - TPI

https://www.linkedin.com/in/summit-m%C3%A9xico-tpi-760047137/

Móvil +52 1 812 352 4606

Skype: jjjimeneza

George Dilintas

Mar 19, 2021, 6:09:05 AM3/19/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
Diameter is not an essential variable for PQR. Why you torture your self?

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Dr. Georgios Dilintas,
Dipl. Ing. In Aeronautic and Space Engineering
Ph.D in Mechanics of Solids - Computational Mechanics
A.I.S, A.N.I, IRCA Lead Auditor
Welding, Stress Analysis, Corrosion, QA/QC, Failure Analysis, Risk Analysis

james gerald

Mar 20, 2021, 12:51:44 AM3/20/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
There are certain aspects to be considered in this requirement. Though Plate PQR qualifies for Tube and pipe also irrespective of diameter but the welding process is Automatic orbital GTAW which may require special fixtures for welding Plate or Pipe.

Please find below snap shot of ASME Sec.IX for Transverse Root and Face Bend tests for small diameter tubes.

Inline image

Inline image

Please contact a Good Testing Laboratory which may guide you further.

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

Vishwas Keskar

Mar 20, 2021, 1:19:00 AM3/20/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
Thanks  all ,
Its Customer specific requirements that each Production joint size   shall require PQR.
We deployed as a team for test piece preparation . We Cut those  small pipes  into   half sections  using hexaw blades in our workshop and then pressed to make these into Flat Strip , We sent these test pieces to lab for further testing.
Face and root bend test set is satisfactory
Have to go extra mile for this. But at the end its happy ending
Vishwas

chandraknat vaidya

Mar 21, 2021, 11:19:14 PM3/21/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
Thats good Vishwas the way is sorted out.

james gerald

Mar 21, 2021, 11:19:14 PM3/21/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
We did some instrument tubing similar to your application