Run-Out Length for SMAW Process

Kurniatullah Sirajudin

Apr 10, 2016, 4:55:34 AM4/10/16
to Materials & Welding
Dear Expert,

A week ago, i received comment regarding welding for smaw process.

My client ask to me, run-out length for smaw process.

I don't know what is run-out length.

Please advise me

Thank you & Regards

Kurniatullah Sirajudin

Maulik Thakkar

Apr 10, 2016, 12:25:07 PM4/10/16
to Materials & Welding

Dear sir,

Recommended run in run out length for base metal thickness;
> 100 mm is min 150 mm
< 100 mm is min 100 mm

Or you can apply simple logic:

Thickness of base metal / each layer height = No of layers * 10-20  mm (staggering length at each layer depending upon the process)

Regards,
Maulik

--
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

Dindo

Apr 10, 2016, 11:48:26 PM4/10/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
Run out length is the time to do a length of weld in a certain length of time, e.g. If a welder welded a 2 inches of weld in 1 minute, then your run out length is 2 inch per minute. Just time your welder from when he starts his weld to the time he stops, then measure how long his weld is.

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Apr 11, 2016, 1:36:27 AM4/11/16
to materials-welding
to calculate heat input, for every rod burning ,u have to measure the length and height and width

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, IWE,  AWS-CWI, CSWIP 3.1,
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY

prem_nautiyal26

Apr 13, 2016, 12:07:37 PM4/13/16
to materials-welding
Hi

Refer ASME Sec IX 2015 edition.
There is No such terminology called run out length mentioned !
Please ask your client for code reference.

Regards

Prem Nautiyal
9769316004

Sent from Samsung Mobile

John Henning

Apr 13, 2016, 1:59:14 PM4/13/16
to material...@googlegroups.com

One method of heat input control is often referred to as the “run of the rod” method or the run out length.  This method uses the provisions of ASME Section IX QW-409.1(b)(2).  Basically, you measure the length of weld and length of SMAW electrode(s) consumed that then is the basis for determining the minimum length of weld that must be deposited per length of electrode burned.  See below for Code reference.

Enjoy - John

MUNHOZ Sergio TECHINT

Apr 13, 2016, 11:51:46 PM4/13/16
to material...@googlegroups.com

Run-out length is the length of weld deposited from one electrode, usually used to control the heat input .

prem_nautiyal26

Apr 14, 2016, 6:56:41 AM4/14/16
to materials-welding
Hi
If you refer DIN EN ISO 15609-1 Spec. And qualifications of welding procedures clause 4.5.1 process 111; the run out length of electrode consumed or travel speed shall be mentioned in your procedure.

Vishwas Keskar Welding Manager Pune India

Apr 24, 2016, 11:50:42 PM4/24/16
to Materials & Welding
This is related  with heat input.
What is your design calls?
Is impact testing is called in design drawing ?
If yes , qualify WPS with QW 409 supplementary essential variables
Here travel speed is related to run out length

Vishwas Keskar Welding Manager Pune India

Apr 13, 2020, 8:17:53 AM4/13/20
to Materials & Welding
PL. EXPLAIN MORE

What is this ?

On Apr 10, 2016 2:25 PM, "Kurniatullah Sirajudin" <kurniatull...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Expert,

A week ago, i received comment regarding welding for smaw process.

My client ask to me, run-out length for smaw process.

I don't know what is run-out length.

Please advise me

Thank you & Regards

Kurniatullah Sirajudin

--
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

james gerald

Apr 14, 2020, 12:08:50 AM4/14/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure with the below mails but I can give explanation to Run-out Length.

In SMAW process, the distance welded by a single electrode (350/450mm length) and it is related to welding speed

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

On Monday, April 13, 2020, 07:17:45 PM GMT+7, Vishwas Keskar Welding Manager Pune India <vvkes...@gmail.com> wrote:

PL. EXPLAIN MORE

What is this ?

> 100 mm is min 150 mm
< 100 mm is min 100 mm

Or you can apply simple logic:

Thickness of base metal / each layer height = No of layers * 10-20  mm (staggering length at each layer depending upon the process)

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 8:25:07 PM UTC+4, Maulik H. Thakkar wrote:

Dear sir,

Recommended run in run out length for base metal thickness;
> 100 mm is min 150 mm
< 100 mm is min 100 mm

Or you can apply simple logic:

Thickness of base metal / each layer height = No of layers * 10-20  mm (staggering length at each layer depending upon the process)

Regards,
Maulik

On Apr 10, 2016 2:25 PM, "Kurniatullah Sirajudin" <kurniatull...@gmail. com> wrote:
Dear Expert,

A week ago, i received comment regarding welding for smaw process.

My client ask to me, run-out length for smaw process.

I don't know what is run-out length.

Please advise me

Thank you & Regards

Kurniatullah Sirajudin

--
http://www.linkedin.com/ groups/MaterialsWelding- 122787?home=&gid=122787&trk= anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/materials-welding/e21dba0d-3601-4908-a012-deccee00c495%40googlegroups.com.

George Dilintas

Apr 14, 2020, 12:08:50 AM4/14/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
in order no to get a run stop crater on the load-bearing weld, you tack at the end of the weld run two plates. so the welder does not stop the arc on the load-bearing weld but on the additional plate which is removed afterwards and does not make part of the structure.
There is also the run-on plate

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/materials-welding/e21dba0d-3601-4908-a012-deccee00c495%40googlegroups.com.

--
Dr. Georgios Dilintas,
Dipl. Ing. In Aeronautic and Space Engineering

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Apr 14, 2020, 1:08:46 AM4/14/20
to materials-welding
Volume of weld metal deposited per burnt length of each Electrode. ISO 1101-1,2 maybe referred also

Dindo

Apr 14, 2020, 11:49:57 PM4/14/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Run out length is the S in below formula, it is the length of the weld (mm or inches) with the corresponding time to do that length of weld (seconds or minutes)

image.png

Chris Sabu

Apr 15, 2020, 12:01:41 AM4/15/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
I think 350/450mm is the length of welding rod not necessarily the length of deposited length which can vary as per the thickness of layer deposited.

Regards

Chris

--
THANKS AND REGARDS
CHRIS SABU

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Apr 15, 2020, 12:24:45 AM4/15/20
to materials-welding
This may not be accurate due to larger variation in Arc voltage

Karthik

Apr 15, 2020, 2:28:54 AM4/15/20
to material...@googlegroups.com

harenath jha

Apr 15, 2020, 2:28:55 AM4/15/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
From which refrence this formulae has been taken??

Dindo

Apr 15, 2020, 11:27:00 PM4/15/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
QW-409.1 (a) - ASME Section IX

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Apr 16, 2020, 8:07:25 AM4/16/20
to materials-welding
Dindo, this is not formula for runout length, it is alternative method to find out Heat input. Generally, for Manual welding process, to find out Heat input, it is always better to use run out length method.

harenath jha

Apr 16, 2020, 12:03:26 PM4/16/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Sir how we can find heat input in manual method. It's formulae

Dindo

Apr 16, 2020, 12:03:26 PM4/16/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
you are right Kannayeram, it is not a formula for run out length, it is the formula use to determine the heat input, I've used this formula everyday when I was still working offshore during the 90's

welding speed = length of weld deposited (mm or inches) ÷ length of time to deposit the weld (seconds or minutes) = mm(inches)/minute (run out length)

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Apr 17, 2020, 2:32:35 AM4/17/20
to materials-welding
Ref 409.1. increase in heat input OR an increase in volume of weld metal deposited per unit length of weld over that qualified.

Regino Millan

Apr 17, 2020, 4:47:19 AM4/17/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

Anyone had experience  welding steel 4130 and titanium and what type of consumables used

Please advisd

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/materials-welding/e21dba0d-3601-4908-a012-deccee00c495%40googlegroups.com.
--
Best Regards

Regino millan