Hydrostatic leak testing

prem_nautiyal26

Oct 17, 2016, 8:29:39 AM10/17/16
to materials-welding

Dear all

Vendor has offered piping spool for hydrostatic test after painting.

Code of construction is ASME B31.3. Category M fluid service.

Vendor argues that as per ASME B31.3 clause 345.3.1 all joints may be primed and painted prior to leak testing.

However same clause also mentions that all joints Welds shall be left exposed for examination during leak testing which is contradictory.

Nothing is mentioned in hydro test procedure about painting.

How to accept ?

Regards

Prem  Nautiyal
9769316004

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

SHANMUGA PERUMAL

Oct 18, 2016, 1:11:37 AM10/18/16
to material...@googlegroups.com

joint exposed is for insulation. You may do priming painting unless sensitive leak test as per B31.3 para 345.3.1.

Regards,
S.perumal.

--
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

ms viswanathan

Oct 18, 2016, 1:20:52 AM10/18/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Prem,

It is not acceptable if it is sesitive leak test.

All joints may me primed and painted prior to leak test,unless it ia a sessitive leak test.As per construction cattgory it is M fluid service.Then should be sensetive test as per ASME B31.3 - M345.

So joints painted is not acceptable.

Regards, M.S.Viswanathan

Subject: [MW:25557] Hydrostatic leak testing
To: "materials-welding" <material...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Monday, October 17, 2016, 2:07 PM
from it, send an email to materials-weld...@googlegroups.com.

George Dilintas

Oct 18, 2016, 11:47:04 PM10/18/16
to Meghanadh K
if not a sensitive test is not required you may go ahead. For sensitive leak test check 345.8.
However, is up to the Engineering to determine if a sensitive leak test is required.

--
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

Dr. Georgios Dilintas,
Dipl. Ing. In Aeronautic and Space Engineering
Ph.D in Mechanics of Solids - Computational Mechanics
A.I.S, A.N.I, IRCA Lead Auditor
Welding, Stress Analysis, Corrosion, QA/QC, Failure Analysis, Risk Analysis

Kumar

Oct 20, 2016, 6:39:59 AM10/20/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Prem,

The provision to do priming & painting is only optional ( "may be ").
So vendor cannot argue that it is mandatory to be painted !! You may
tell such paintings may mask pin-holes or any other seepages during
test. An amicable agreement to be made.

Also all welds should be exposed means - NOT to be hidden (like
undergrond joints) or to make insulation etc. doesnt mean couldn't be
painted..

Hope this info helps you little.

Regards,
Kumar.

On 10/17/16, 'prem_nautiyal26' via Materials & Welding
> --
> http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
> The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and
> meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions
> w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.
> ---

anthony chundal

Oct 20, 2016, 11:41:53 AM10/20/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

If it is already  painted , raise an NCR and it can be closed by getting an approval letter from client stating that it is acceptable to them, other wise they have to at least remove the paints on the welds and retest it. Please find the ASME clause extract.
Inline image 1

<materials-welding@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Dear all
> Vendor has offered piping spool for hydrostatic test after painting.
> Code of construction is ASME B31.3. Category M fluid service.
>
> Vendor argues that as per ASME B31.3 clause 345.3.1 all joints may be primed
> and painted prior to leak testing.
> However same clause also mentions that all joints Welds shall be left
> exposed for examination during leak testing which is contradictory.
> Nothing is mentioned in hydro test procedure about painting.
> How to accept ?
> Regards
> Prem  Nautiyal 9769316004

> http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
> The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and
> meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions
> w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.
> ---
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

sam m

Oct 20, 2016, 11:42:24 AM10/20/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
 Unless otherwise a concession is made prior to painting, the joints must be exposed during pressure test

We have done such primer paint application with prior company/contractor approval

Regards
Sam

Sent from Gmail Mobile