Production test coupon

Sachin Dhiman

Mar 28, 2020, 3:02:03 AM3/28/20
to Materials & Welding
Dear experts
I want to know about PTC in detail , when it’s required, what’s the relation b/w impact exemption and PTC

Thanks in Advance

George Dilintas

Mar 30, 2020, 1:15:24 AM3/30/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
In relation to which Code/Standad?
For what kind of product?
Pressure Vessel?
Power boiler part?

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Dr. Georgios Dilintas,
Dipl. Ing. In Aeronautic and Space Engineering
Ph.D in Mechanics of Solids - Computational Mechanics
A.I.S, A.N.I, IRCA Lead Auditor
Welding, Stress Analysis, Corrosion, QA/QC, Failure Analysis, Risk Analysis

Sachin Dhiman

Mar 30, 2020, 1:50:35 AM3/30/20
to Materials & Welding
In relation to ASME SECTION VIII DIV.1
Product-SA 516 pressure vessel

GENE MATSKO

Mar 30, 2020, 11:26:44 PM3/30/20
to material...@googlegroups.com

ASME SECTION VIII DIV.1
Product-SA 516 pressure vessel
Field Test Coupon Procedure:
 Simply take test coupons onto scaffold near the actual field weld. The test coupons must be of the same material and type etc and backed up with documentation. Set up test coupon in same position as actual field weld.This was the way we done production
test coupons in the past for ASME-Section VIII, DIV I when required.
I hope this helps
Gene Matsko

On Monday, March 30, 2020, 12:50:30 AM CDT, Sachin Dhiman <sachin....@gmail.com> wrote:

In relation to ASME SECTION VIII DIV.1
Product-SA 516 pressure vessel

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/materials-welding/675cdfd0-2112-4f3a-afcc-95aa94dcdf47%40googlegroups.com.

Ihsan Kareem

Apr 1, 2020, 12:33:47 AM4/1/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Kindly check UCS-66 for impact exemption in ASME SECTION VIII DIV.1
Product-SA 516 pressure vessel

Ihsan Kareem Anjum
API Inspector
API 653, API 510 and 570
ASNT LEVEL ll
+92-3346985641
+92-3036593031

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/materials-welding/630815146.1507293.1585608967811%40mail.yahoo.com.

GENE MATSKO

Apr 1, 2020, 3:35:57 AM4/1/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
I am a 80 yr. old retired welding engineer and do not have access to code books etc. You asked about a field weld test coupon, what does USC-66 for impact exemption have to do with that.

Gene Matsko

Jaydeep

Apr 1, 2020, 11:26:40 AM4/1/20
to Materials & Welding
1. What is the Purpose of PTC?
PTC Facilitates destructive testing of true representation of production welds for ascertaining mechanical properties
2. When PTC Required?- UCS 66
Whenever UCS 66 curves do not exempt impact testing of Parent Metal based on
A) MDMT ( Minimum Design Metal Temperature)
of equipment
B) Thickness Material
C) Curve representing Material Specification
& Grade
D) Whenever Customer Specification calls

Regards,
Jaydeep Limbasiya
QC Engineer

MW

Apr 1, 2020, 11:17:28 PM4/1/20
to Materials & Welding
pl. check UG-84-(i)(2)

GENE MATSKO

Apr 2, 2020, 3:00:28 AM4/2/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Let me say this. The pressure vessels I was involved in required Production Test Coupons on each course from the bottom to the top.
The coupons had to be identical in every way to the actual pressure vessel CS impacted tested material and weld joints. The impacted tested CS plates were required by the code.

Gene Matsko