Missing Material Certificate of Existing Line

ilkinhasanov

Oct 21, 2022, 2:36:34 AM10/21/22
to Materials & Welding
Dear All,

We have to weld our new fabricated pipeline to existing live line. (welding code is 1104).

Unfortunately,  we do not have a certificates of existing line. and it is not possible to perform shutdown to take a test coupons and perform chemical analysis and mechanical tests to identify grade of materials.

All knows that, existing line's material is Carbon steel but exact Yield and tensile Strength and Chemical prosperities are unknown. (our new fabricated pipeline is also Carbon steel.

Could you please advise me what can we do in this condition?

Regards,
Ilkin HASANOV

Mohammed Abdulsayeed76

Oct 21, 2022, 2:57:36 AM10/21/22
to Materials-Welding
Dear Hasnov,
Do PMI test. Equipment is easy to handle and can be detect carbon percentage. Based on the percentage of carbon you can correlate pipe line grade material which is using at the site.
Regards
Sayeed

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Faisal Sattar

Oct 21, 2022, 4:12:33 AM10/21/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
You may go through the spectroscopic test for the existing pipeline. It may give you material compositions. Based on that composition you may find the material grade and yield.

Perumal Govindan

Oct 21, 2022, 4:12:33 AM10/21/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi
Are you going to do hot tapping on the existing pipeline?

Refer previously used materials documents from Client or refer the data sheet / material requirements of FEED.

And consult the Operation and Maintenance team of Client. As a QA QC  do not have authorization to change or replace any materials.

Regards
Govindan Perumal

Ilkin Hasanov

Oct 21, 2022, 4:27:32 AM10/21/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Faisal Sattar
Thanks for your prompt reply.

What is accuracy of this method ( PMI (OES))

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/materials-welding/CAE%2B-gCazdMMi_a%3DnUeT-eFB88oVeNGNu3zr2jCeQSTe3QMKqmw%40mail.gmail.com.

james gerald

Oct 21, 2022, 5:10:01 AM10/21/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Some contractor/ Lab have portable Atomic emission spectrometer which is considered nearest to accurate. Also they have portable optical emission spectrometer which is commonly used.

Perform an Hardness test & use ASME SEc IIA  SA-370 for Tensile strength conversion

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

G Gughan

Oct 21, 2022, 5:10:03 AM10/21/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Hasanov,

The PMI accuracy rate is high and releable.If you want to counter check of PMI, Kindly get a sample of piece from the existing line,take it to approved laboratory for the chemical analysis.

Thanks,

Kind Regards,

G.Gughan

ilkinhasanov

Oct 24, 2022, 11:51:11 PM10/24/22
to Materials & Welding
there will not be hot tapping - there will be installed "TEE" and new line will connect with existing through the "TEE"

пятница, 21 октября 2022 г. в 12:12:33 UTC+4, perumal govindan:

james gerald

Oct 25, 2022, 11:29:13 PM10/25/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
To find the exact chemical composition of existing line, perform volumetric analysis (lab test) from the Fillings collected from existing line. (check with Chemical testing lab the exact grams needed).

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

Ilkin Hasanov

Oct 26, 2022, 12:38:42 AM10/26/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Mr Gerald,
Problem is that, line is live an now we can to go for shut down and taking a test coupons/samples is not possible.

Regards,
Ilkin Hasanov

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/materials-welding/1261176514.1687804.1666676116270%40mail.yahoo.com.

james gerald

Oct 26, 2022, 12:55:38 AM10/26/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
I believe from your mail that you are not going for Hot Tapping that means the Line has to be shut down for welding with TEE.

I suppose you have to plan during shut down all these activities.

Also check with the operator incharge whether any filling (use File) from external surface of the Live line possible without reducing much thickness

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

Ilkin Hasanov

Oct 26, 2022, 1:10:57 AM10/26/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Mr Gerald,
During shut down (welding our TEEs to live line) we will have time only for welding.
So, I have to have a proper qualified WPS on my hands prior to shut down.
Operator of live lines is not able to provide certificates and live line’s were manufactured according to GOST standard (Even not  to API or ASME).

Regards
Ilkin HASANOV

james gerald

Oct 26, 2022, 2:13:53 AM10/26/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
First identify and check with the Lab how much grams of Fillings (using manual File on Pipe external surface) are required and sometimes even Lab will come and collect the Fillings. What is your Pipe Thickness and obtain operator permission to remove 0.5mm or 1mm from the live line surface to collect fillings. Normally spectroscopy involves an arc and not advisable on live line and X-Ray Fluoroscopy may be permitted but you cannot determine carbon content and the only viable option is to collect fillings.

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

Ilkin Hasanov

Oct 27, 2022, 1:30:36 AM10/27/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mr.Gerald,
Do you known labs which is performing tests with respective methods?

G Gughan

Oct 27, 2022, 1:55:05 AM10/27/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Hasanov,

                           Spark direct reading spectrum (OES) & Inductively coupled plasma emission spectrometry (ICP-OES)-ASTM E 415.

The above two methods will serve your purpose.

Thanks,

Kind Regards,

G.Gughan

Perumal Govindan

Oct 27, 2022, 5:39:38 AM10/27/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Contact U I LLC "O" ENERGOSOZLASH, Tashket or M/s. ENTER STEEL

If you are based in Uzbekistan.

Regards
Govindan Perumal

james gerald

Oct 27, 2022, 5:39:47 AM10/27/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Share your Location and members of this group may support you.