WPS for API 5lX70

Rifaqat Shahzad

Sep 3, 2016, 9:44:42 AM9/3/16
to Materials & Welding
Dear Experts,

I have a WPS/PQR for API 5l x70 based on API 1104. Can i use this WPS/PQR for API 5L x60 for piping work between two pipelines. we have done Hot tap work on these pipelines and installed valves. Please suggest and share with reference.

M.Rifaqat
Iraq

Pravin Nimbalkar

Sep 18, 2016, 2:08:28 AM9/18/16
to Materials & Welding
Dear Mr. Rafiqat,

As per API 1104
5.4.2 changes required for requalification.
Base material
Change in base material constitutes an essential variable. When welding of two separate material groups, the procedure for higher strength group shall be used. There are following material group we need to consider during procedure qualification accordingly.
1. SMYS less than or equal to API 5L X42
2. SMYS greater than API 5L X42 but less than API 5L X65
3. SMYS greater than or equal to API 5L X65, each grade shall receive the separate qualification.

Also you can't change filler metal group as per table 1.

So you can't use API 5L X60 PQR for making WPS of higher grade material.

Regards,
Pravin Nimbalkar,
Welding engineer,
BILFAL heavy industry, KSA.