Unlisted Material AWS D1.1

jaimin...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2020, 10:27:51 AM8/31/20
to Materials & Welding
Dear Gents,

I got one WPS for  hardox 450

Required Code: AWS D1.1
Plate Thk: 25mm

My concern is that as per given Data sheet there is not specified Tensile Strength ,on what basis we can accept Report of Tensile Test?

This is my first experience with unlisted material.

Thanks & Regards
Jaimin Patel
B.E Mechanical

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Aug 31, 2020, 10:44:21 AM8/31/20
to materials-welding
It is wear resistance material. Only hardness.

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Vishwas Keskar

Aug 31, 2020, 10:44:29 AM8/31/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Request them to furnish Mechanical properties
They will furnish
No issue at all

pgos...@rogers.com

Aug 31, 2020, 4:15:21 PM8/31/20
to materials-welding

Hardox, is an abrasion resistant steel, not very commonly used for structural fabrication. Here’re two data sheets which tells almost the same story .

Welding   considerations for this steels are quite tricky and requires very high level of preheat .  To the best of my knowledge structural codes does not incorporate use of such abrasion resistant  steel. If this material is acceptable for construction you should ask the WPS to supported by a qualified PQR form welding approval  prior to production.

Thanks.

Pradip Goswami, P.Eng, IWE

Consultant-Welding-Metallurgical Engineering

Cell & Whatsapp-905-9793232.

Personal:pgos...@rogers.com

Aug 31, 2020, 11:18:06 PM8/31/20
to materials-welding
U can contact material for welding procedure. They give some inputs which will be useful. Generally root Welding is done under match filler metal and other layer matched filler material. Preheat is based on thickness and CE. Over preheat will reduce the Hardness. This is not coming under preview of D1.1, u can follow it's procedure.

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Aug 31, 2020, 11:18:06 PM8/31/20
to materials-welding
Only hardness other strength not guaranteed

jaimin...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2020, 11:09:51 AM9/9/20
to Materials & Welding
Dear ,

We are the one who need to prepare WPS/PQR.

We Tried with 7018 Electrode (Under Matching strength of Base Metal).

Tensile: ~630Mpa.
Bend:~ Cracks on weld area.
HT on Weld~200 HBW

How do we make PQR based on this Data ? Means based on Under matching clause of AWS D1.1 in explanation.

AWS.jpegAWS.jpeg