MAWP vs Design Pressure

ibrahi...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2019, 1:15:44 AM12/27/19
to Materials & Welding
What is the difference between Maximum allowable working pressure (MAWP) and the design pressure?

I've looked up several resources but could not find it. Also i found that MAWP and design pressure may be equal in some cases.

M.M. Sunilkumar

Dec 28, 2019, 3:49:02 AM12/28/19
to material...@googlegroups.com
The thicknesses used are generally do not match exactly designed values for reasons of availability, form etc. Even materials with better properties may be at times substituted. On  back calculation, the design values the equipment can be subjected to would be higher in proportion to the better specifications used over the one in the design calculation. The minimum value of this back calculated value for all the components is the MAWP. If such back calculation is not done  MAWP becomes design pressure. MAWP is very important in sizing safety fittings.

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

ibrahi...@gmail.com

Dec 28, 2019, 3:49:04 AM12/28/19
to Materials & Welding
Thank you in advance for answering.

ibrahi...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2019, 12:35:07 AM12/30/19
to Materials & Welding
Thank you Linus. Any other views?

Shashank Vagal

Dec 30, 2019, 12:35:08 AM12/30/19
to material...@googlegroups.com
Design Pressure is always less than MAWP.

Best Regards,

Shashank C Vagal (+91) 8082395502, 8779046302,

301, PRATHAMESH, M G Rd – Mahant Rd, Vile Parle East, Mumbai 400 057 INDIA

On Friday, 27 December, 2019, 11:45:45 am IST, <ibrahi...@gmail.com> wrote:

What is the difference between Maximum allowable working pressure (MAWP) and the design pressure?

I've looked up several resources but could not find it. Also i found that MAWP and design pressure may be equal in some cases.

Saf

Jan 20, 2020, 1:33:14 AM1/20/20
to Materials & Welding
if calculations for mwp are not done then design pressure will be equal to mawp