Regarding 2% sensitivity in radiography film.

Prasad Rode

Jan 10, 2017, 1:13:00 AM1/10/17
to Materials & Welding
Dear sir,

I have 1" s.s. pipe having thkness of 4.1mm. We have used x ray quality with D4 size film. We have shown the client, required IQI as per sec V.

But client wants 2% sensitivity as per specification.

Sensitivity= min thk of visible wire/ thk of base metal*100

In our case, sensitivity= 0.20/4.1*100.
So, it will come as 4.84 % .

So, how we will get 2% sensitivity.

Regards
Prasad

Hareesh K V

Jan 10, 2017, 4:31:17 AM1/10/17
to materials-welding

Refer ASME BPVC SEC V; Table T-276 gives the minimum thickness wire that must be visible for each thickness. SEC V doesn't mentioned about 2% sensitivity.

--
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

Kataiah Pamula

Jan 15, 2017, 11:41:50 PM1/15/17
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr.Prasad,

For low thickness Pipes, 2% sensitivity is difficult to get.

Sensitivity achieved 4.84% looks more.

Change variables like time, SFD etc and present best possible sensitivity to client for variance approval.

Best regards

P.Kataiah

Prasad Rode

Jan 15, 2017, 11:42:50 PM1/15/17
to Materials & Welding
Dear sir,
Thanks for reply.

I want make clear my concept about sensitivity.
My point is that
1) sensitivity= thk of visible wire/ base metal thk * 100 ,
is it correct formula or not.

2) Secondly, according to client, sensitivity means 2% of base metal. It will comes to 0.08mm for 4.1 mm thk base metal. Means, we have show IQI of 0.08mm.i.e. 1st wire of set A.

Request all experts, pls clear my concept about 2% sensitivity.

Regards
Prasad

srinivasan muthukrishnan

Jan 16, 2017, 10:45:17 AM1/16/17
to material...@googlegroups.com, Prasad Rode
For 1" RT technique suppose to be superimpose  technique(DWSI) ,so we need to calculate this way

Double the thickness 4.1+4.1=8.2 and one reinforcement 1.5mm for 1" welding

0.20/9.7*100=2%

On Fri, 13 Jan, 2017 at 17:32, Prasad Rode
--
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

Prasad Rode

Jan 16, 2017, 10:45:51 AM1/16/17
to Materials & Welding

dilintas

Jan 18, 2017, 12:16:14 AM1/18/17
to material...@googlegroups.com
Check SE-1025 in  ASME V

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Rony Issac

Jan 21, 2017, 9:17:46 AM1/21/17
to Materials & Welding
Dear Mr Prasad

You already achieved the required sensitivity. According  to Sec V the required wire for mentioned thickness is 0.20 mm

You already achieved the required wire. Check Table T 276 on sec V.

Thanks
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to materials-welding+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Prasad Rode

Feb 6, 2017, 1:04:59 AM2/6/17
to Materials & Welding
Thank to Mr. George sir, for providing the section se- 1025.

After refer the section, I want to only conclude that, sensitivity percentage is related to " Image quality level" as mentioned in sub section part 6.1

And 6.3 also clearly mention that that image quality level should be mention in contract or related document, spec etc or inplace of that minimum IQI and hole size should be specified, which normally we get from artcle 2.

Sorry for such a late reply, after study or refer only I replying.

Sir, is I concluded correct?

Regards
Prasad

Prasad Rode

Feb 11, 2017, 1:59:21 AM2/11/17
to Materials & Welding
Dear all,

I have clear my doubt with your help.
Please give the response that, what I concluded is correct or not, about sensitivity, as explained in trailing mail.

Regards
Prasad Rode

Rajendra Jadhav

Feb 16, 2017, 6:48:06 AM2/16/17
to Materials & Welding
Refer UW-51

muthu barathi

Feb 16, 2017, 7:32:11 AM2/16/17
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear Sir,
Your calculation is wrong and I think you are not understanding the concept of senstivity calculation and selection of IQI.

2% of sensitivity of 4.1 mm thk would be 0.082mm and the IQI wire diameter of 0.082mm shall be visible in the film.
So you have select as per ASME Sec V Table 233.2 ,  set B to be used.

Thanking You.

With Warm Regards,

Muthu Barathi P.
Mobile : +9184695933

Sent from RediffmailNG on Android
--
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

AGUSTIN JIMENEZ

Feb 16, 2017, 7:40:48 AM2/16/17
to material...@googlegroups.com
HI. FOR THAT THICKNESS YOU NEED WIRE IQI NUMBER 4 IS THCK 0.063" SEE TABLE T-233.2
WIRE IQI DESIGNATION, WIRE DIAMETER,AND WIRE IDENTITY IN ASME SECTION V ARTICLE 2, THE SPECIFICATION CLIENT IS MANDATORY.

BEST REGARS
Agustin Jimenéz

The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

George Dilintas

Feb 17, 2017, 9:44:08 PM2/17/17
to Meghanadh K
It is obvious that in order to proof that your sensitivity is 2% the smallest wire or hole on the image quality indicator has to be 2,41 times smaller

--
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

Dr. Georgios Dilintas,
Dipl. Ing. In Aeronautic and Space Engineering
Ph.D in Mechanics of Solids - Computational Mechanics
A.I.S, A.N.I, IRCA Lead Auditor
Welding, Stress Analysis, Corrosion, QA/QC, Failure Analysis, Risk Analysis

Prasad Rode

Feb 17, 2017, 9:45:26 PM2/17/17
to Materials & Welding
Dear sir,

Mr, srinivasan sir, given calculation for double wall technique and 1" dia, but instead of that if it would be single wall or big dia., then that calculation will not work.

My understanding is that Mr, George sir given guideline to refer SE1025, and that section shows that 2% sensitivity is related to X-YXX in that way.

I expain the concept which i understand it, in last button one mail, and so requesting also to George sir, pls clear that my understanding is proper or not.

Pls reply, if anyone has query.
I think, it is very important to clear the concept of sensitivity, specially 2% sensitivity, which is normalky given in every Radiography format.

I want to clear the concept, which can help others for future.

Regards
Prasad Rode

Mohan Ananthanarayanan KR

Feb 18, 2017, 1:28:51 AM2/18/17
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear Jadhav,

Sensitivity 2% means IQI wire visible has to be 4.1*.02=0.082mm

Regards

Mohan Ananthanarayanan

Head Quality External Fabrication VSSC

--
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

George Dilintas

Feb 18, 2017, 7:29:46 AM2/18/17
to Meghanadh K
Even in case of double wall technique, when you want to calculate sensitivity you consider the single wall thickness

Prasad Rode

--
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

Mohammad Imtiyaz Ahmad

Feb 23, 2017, 1:32:14 AM2/23/17
to Materials & Welding
Gent's.

With X- Ray its is Easily u can Achive the 2% Senstivity in 1" (Give 24" SFD" and to Calculate the 2% Sensitivity SE - 94 use he formula - Achieved wire thickness / Estimated Thickness including Reinforcement Thickness * 100.

Imtiyaz.

Prasad Rode

Feb 24, 2017, 11:11:59 PM2/24/17
to Materials & Welding
Dear Mr,Ahemad sir, is it possible for any other thickness and in other RT techniques also.

Request to pls confirmed.

Regards
Prasad

Mhaskar Aly

Feb 26, 2017, 12:26:02 AM2/26/17
to material...@googlegroups.com
hi
I think governing thickness will be dia of pipe...as it is double wall double image / superimpose exposure.
Aly

--
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

Nachhattar Singh

Feb 26, 2017, 1:56:02 AM2/26/17
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear Experts

I need the following information with the reference of the code / standard.

01.   If the electrodes are kept in the store and are not in sealed container, then

can we use them after Baking as per the manufacturer’s recommendations

or not. Please do give the code / Standard  reference

02.   The job as per our WPS is supposed to be heated at 100 Degrees Celsius, how

to check the temperature, I do not have the measure Gun,

03.   As per the WPS the voltage should be 15 to 17 Volts, but is done at 20 Volts,

the current used is 100 Amps as required. What is the effect of this +3 Volts.

Material is WCB and it is only for overlay.

Thanks for the information in advance.

Nachhattar Singh

PLEASE THINK BEFORE PRINTING

.

Prasad Rode

Feb 26, 2017, 6:24:39 AM2/26/17
to Materials & Welding
Dear Mr.Nachetta 1947,

U have place u r unmathed query in my question and answer series of 2% sensitivity.
Pls avoid to place such a mistake and pls take care in future.
It will create the disturbances in understanding the answering of title question to other users of this forum.

Request to take attention , in future.

Regards
Prasad

dilintas

Mar 6, 2017, 8:43:07 AM3/6/17
to material...@googlegroups.com
Wrong
Single wall thickness governs. Check ASME section V article 2

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/materials-welding/CAOenW4jxSev1-EtJdipZZzBLVZXgxVcxCCoW4J8qyp2%3DKgjXEw%40mail.gmail.com.

John Watson

Jul 24, 2018, 1:47:24 AM7/24/18
to material...@googlegroups.com

Souravbohray

Jul 25, 2018, 1:40:42 AM7/25/18
to Materials & Welding
is IQI is source side or film side

prabir maji

Jul 26, 2018, 3:00:00 PM7/26/18
to material...@googlegroups.com
IQI always in source side subject to accessibility required, otherwise IQI will place on film side that time IQI size/nos will be as per code.

Thanking you,

P.K.MAJI
Sr Surveyor,
BUREAU VERITAS (I) PVT LTD.,