P-91 to SS Welding

pradip kumar Sil

Feb 8, 2016, 7:56:48 AM2/8/16
to materials-welding
Dear Expert,
We have to weld P-91 Material to 316 (SS) material with ERNiCr-3 filler Wire Socket Weld.
My question is needs to do buttering  the P-91 material if required how much layer we Need ?
During  & After buttering needs to conduct preheating & Post heating ?
During & after welding socket weld  only P-91 side or both side  we will conduct preheating +post heating + PWHT
Thanks in advance.
Regards

dili...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2016, 8:41:03 AM2/8/16
to materials-welding
If your Code is ASME you need to PWHT whatever the thickness is. So the best practice is to do buttering and then PWHT. Once PWHT completed you weld to 316.
The thickness of the buttering should be such that the haz of the second weld does not fall on P91. I would suggest 5 mm

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
Feb 11, 2016, 4:39:58 AM2/11/16
to materials-welding
Dear Sir,
Thanks in advance.
As per my understanding :
 We will do buttering the P-91 pipe around 5 mm with PRE HEAT + POST HEAT +PWHT by  filler wire ERNiCr-3. Afterwards fit-up will be done with SS pipe & continue welding without preheating +postheating +pwht.

Correct me if i am wrong.
Regards,

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Feb 11, 2016, 5:15:37 AM2/11/16
to materials-welding
u can use ER NiCr3 /ENiCrFe2 direct welding  with preheat and pwht

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, IWE,  AWS-CWI, CSWIP 3.1,
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY

pradip kumar Sil

Feb 11, 2016, 6:25:30 AM2/11/16
to materials-welding
 My question is both side of weldment we will do preheat & pwht ( i.e  Stainless steel side & P-91 Side )

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Feb 11, 2016, 6:34:06 AM2/11/16
to materials-welding
do preheat only for P91 and carry out PWHT for both

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, IWE,  AWS-CWI, CSWIP 3.1,
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY

pradip kumar Sil

Feb 11, 2016, 6:43:36 AM2/11/16
to materials-welding
If we do PWHT on SS side, will it effect any metallurgical problem.

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 4:35 PM, pradip kumar Sil <prad...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks

Rems Okonkwo

Feb 12, 2016, 12:12:03 AM2/12/16
to materials-welding

Depending on the type of heat treatment you intend to do. But the truth is that for this dissimilar material, there is no heat treat you will do without destroying one of the materials.

The heat treatment recommended for P91 will have an adverse effect on the metallurgy of the SS and perculiarity is depended upon the type of SS and also the heat treatment recommended for SS will also have an adverse effect on the P91 material. There is lot of write up on this topic in this group and it can no longer be over flogged. The answer given earlier is the best practice.

Regards.

Rems

rems.okonkwo

Feb 12, 2016, 12:12:41 AM2/12/16
to pradip kumar Sil, materials-welding
Yes that's the correct procedure. Buttering on P91. Preheating/Post heating/ PWHT. Prepare and weld to SS without any form of heat treatment

Rems

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

nawab ali bhatti

Feb 12, 2016, 12:12:53 AM2/12/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Experts

Please   share your best  experience  with reference of international codes

Pipe Material  P22, A335 (Cr2.25 and Mo 1), Shoe support to be welded direct with pressure parts.(Pipe material thickness 33 mm, Operating Temperature 500 Centigrade  and pressure 106 bar)

My question,   Is  PWHT require for shoe supports  Or Not???
                     Shoe support plate thickness is 12 mm and throat thickness is 8 mm, Preheating is perform as WPS.

NA Bhatti
00966 593530001

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Feb 12, 2016, 12:22:41 AM2/12/16
to materials-welding
what is application and ss material grade.

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, IWE,  AWS-CWI, CSWIP 3.1,
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY

dili...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2016, 6:12:36 AM2/12/16
to 'nawab ali bhatti' via Materials & Welding
In your case the governing thickness is that of the fillet ‎weld of the shoe to the pipe weld.
Min. Thickness for which PWHT is required depends on design and construction Code

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
Feb 12, 2016, 6:12:37 AM2/12/16
to pradip kumar Sil
Sensitization (precipitation of Cr carbides)

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
Feb 12, 2016, 10:26:54 PM2/12/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
you could use a “B2” filler metal. The next issue in filler metal selection is the use of post weld stress
relief which is not mentioned. If the weld is going to be subjected to a post weld stress relief then use
an ER80S-B2 and if there will be no post weld stress relief you should consider ER70S-B2L.

Regards,
C Sridhar.
Technical Adviser - Welding,
for Alsta Pristine Engineering Private Limited,. Bangalore

( SS, AL fabricators & A venture of Advance Eng. Training & Inspection Services). Chennai,

Mobile nos: 0 94449 71097,

Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to. Save the environment.

Feb 13, 2016, 6:21:11 AM2/13/16
to materials-welding
Dear Bhatti,

First you tell me what is the material you have selected to use as a support and what is the thickness for the support material.
If your WPS is qualified with PWHT you have to do the PWHT.
If PWHT is service requirement you have to do PWHT.
Other cases you have to follow construction code (unless otherwise specified in client std/specification).

Regards

Thanks & Regards
Biplab Pal
Welding Inspector
E-mail:   bipla...@gmail.com

Information in this email and any attachments is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed or otherwise directed. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Myself accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

nawab ali bhatti

Feb 13, 2016, 6:37:01 AM2/13/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir

Thanks for reply
Shoe support material is P22 / A335 thickness 12 mm and WPS qualified with PWHT

Best Regards

Feb 15, 2016, 4:31:08 AM2/15/16
to materials-welding
what is application , process or power

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, IWE,  AWS-CWI, CSWIP 3.1,
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Feb 15, 2016, 4:31:08 AM2/15/16
to materials-welding
what is fillet size???

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, IWE,  AWS-CWI, CSWIP 3.1,
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY

George Dilintas

Feb 15, 2016, 6:59:26 AM2/15/16
to Meghanadh K
the final welding is better to do with grade 309 filler metal (in order to avoid low FN and thus hot cracking)

Georgios Dilintas
A.I.S, A.N.I, IRCA Lead Auditor
Welding, Stress Analysis, Corrosion, QA/QC, Failure Analysis

George Dilintas

Feb 15, 2016, 6:59:29 AM2/15/16
to Meghanadh K
Correct, the issue is to avoid heating SS (risk of sensitization)

pradip kumar Sil

Feb 15, 2016, 6:59:39 AM2/15/16
to materials-welding

Bala Nechur

Feb 15, 2016, 9:19:34 AM2/15/16
to material...@googlegroups.com

Hello Expert,

How ever a WPS to be qualified to implement the process.

Bala Nechur,

Corporate QA/QC Manager
Phoenix Industrial
PhoenixEmailSignaturew18001-01
The information transmitted is intended only for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged material, unauthorized review, copying, distribution, taking of any action in reliance upon or disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you are not an intended addressee, please delete this message, including attachments immediately
Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to. Copy of go green

Feb 15, 2016, 10:15:49 PM2/15/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
There are 5 pieces to each Fillet weld known as the , Toe, Root, Face, Leg and Throat.[2] The root of the weld is the part of deepest penetration which is the opposite angle of the Hypotenuse. The toes of the weld are essentially the edges or the points of the hypotenuse. The face of the weld is the outer visual or hypotenuse that you see when looking at a fillet weld. The legs are the opposite and adjacent sides to the triangular fillet weld. The leg length is usually designated as the size of the weld. The throat of the weld is the distance from the center of the face to the root of the weld.
Gene Matsko

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Feb 15, 2016, 10:50:07 PM2/15/16
to materials-welding
it is not advisable to use 309 because 309 weld metal  may not be  suitable for service/pwht  temp above 370 C

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, IWE,  AWS-CWI, CSWIP 3.1,
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY

pradip kumar Sil

Feb 16, 2016, 12:48:29 AM2/16/16
to materials-welding
Inside the HRSG temp is 550 degree centigrade so we choose ERNiCr-3

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Feb 16, 2016, 1:24:15 AM2/16/16
to materials-welding
ER NiCr3 or ENiCrFe2 is the best suitable

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, IWE,  AWS-CWI, CSWIP 3.1,
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Feb 16, 2016, 1:43:04 AM2/16/16
to materials-welding
buttering is the best one and buttering thickness should not be less than 5mm . we have done both method, for less thickness  direct welding and more than 10mm thickness we have done buttering. pl check the feasibility and do it .

in ur case, do preheat , butter and do pwht after that weld with only With Nickel base fillers

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, IWE,  AWS-CWI, CSWIP 3.1,
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY

Ramdoss Ravindiren

Feb 16, 2016, 4:23:43 AM2/16/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
in my experience, use of inconel eletrode is best. Preheat and pwht shall be done such that P91 side shall be covered fully and HAZ of ss to be covered. Sensitization      can be avoided.

Feb 16, 2016, 8:26:35 AM2/16/16
to materials-welding

Why u chosen 316 for this service temp?    Dissimilar welds made with SS filler will lead to failure at P91HAZ even at temp below the creep range due to 1. Differences of co efficient of expansion between them leading to the formation of large tempered induced stresses at the weld interface. 2. Carbon diffusion from the csef to Ass at the weld interface reduces creep strength of the csef so that creep voids develop and failure occurs by creep along csef alloy. So it is better to use Nickel base fillers.