FILLER WIRE FOR SS 304 TO SS321

sujit kumar

Nov 23, 2022, 4:18:43 AM11/23/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear experts

what will be the filler wire for SS304 TO SS321 MATERIAL

Best Regards
Sujit

anthony chundal

Nov 23, 2022, 4:53:14 AM11/23/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
You can use Er 308 or 347 consumables

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

M.Sathiya Narayanan

Nov 24, 2022, 10:15:11 PM11/24/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
use 347 composition

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Thanks and Regards
M.Sathyanarayanan
0091-7358752505

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Nov 24, 2022, 10:31:28 PM11/24/22
to materials-welding
why don't use 321 when TIG is engaged

Student

Jan 16, 2023, 11:30:28 PM1/16/23
to Materials & Welding
Check AWS D1.6 for guidance

abdullah Alhiji

Mar 6, 2023, 7:47:35 AM3/6/23
to material...@googlegroups.com

When welding SS304 to SS321 materials, the recommended filler metal is usually an austenitic stainless steel filler metal, such as AWS A5.9 ER321 or ER347.

AWS A5.9 ER321 is a titanium-stabilized austenitic stainless steel filler metal designed for welding 321 and 347 stainless steels. It has good oxidation and corrosion resistance and can be used for welding in high-temperature applications.

AWS A5.9 ER347 is a niobium-stabilized austenitic stainless steel filler metal designed for welding 321 and 347 stainless steels. It has excellent high-temperature strength and oxidation resistance, making it suitable for welding in severe service conditions.

The selection of the filler metal will depend on the specific application and the welding process being used. It is recommended to consult the applicable code or standard and a qualified welding engineer or metallurgist for specific guidance on selecting the appropriate filler metal for your application.

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Mohd Siraj

Mar 21, 2023, 3:36:41 AM3/21/23
to Materials & Welding
AWS A5.9 ER347 is best, AWS A5.9 ER321 titanium will be lost during the welding, and required property may not be achieved.

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Mar 21, 2023, 5:52:32 AM3/21/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
ER 308
THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, BE, IWE,  CSWIP 3.1,
ISO 9712 Level 2 in VT,
ASNT-Level II in PT,MT,RT & UT,
LA ISO 9001-2015,
International Welding Engineer.
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY
Mobile no: +919940739349

Ahmad el-sharkawy

Mar 21, 2023, 6:18:20 AM3/21/23
to material...@googlegroups.com

james gerald

Mar 21, 2023, 11:38:19 PM3/21/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
Suitable for TIG with  Inert Gases.

Inline image

Shielding with Inert gas prevents the Titanium from reacting.

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Mar 21, 2023, 11:38:22 PM3/21/23
to materials-welding

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Mar 22, 2023, 12:35:45 AM3/22/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
For Dissimilar 304 +321, what is the problem in using 308L

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, BE, IWE,  CSWIP 3.1,
ISO 9712 Level 2 in VT,
ASNT-Level II in PT,MT,RT & UT,
LA ISO 9001-2015,
International Welding Engineer.
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY
Mobile no: +919940739349

james gerald

Mar 22, 2023, 5:53:02 AM3/22/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
Snap shot of API RP 582 below recommends either 308 or 347 but it is for SMAW process. ER321 can be used for TIG welding and that is the idea behind the mail. New introduction.

Inline image

Inline image

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

Jenish Mistry

Mar 22, 2023, 6:59:46 AM3/22/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
I think no any problem for using 308L...

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Mar 22, 2023, 11:56:58 PM3/22/23
to materials-welding
it is not 321+321 joints ( if use TIG, 321 can be used,but if we use SMAW, for same combination,  we have to use only 347.. it is a 304 +321.