Fwd: WPS TO QUALIFY THE OF THE WELDER

Rene Alvarado

Mar 31, 2022, 11:11:07 PM3/31/22
to material...@googlegroups.com

FE DE ERRATAS

Can I use a WPS qualified with the SMAW process in position 6G on pipes Copper Nickel to Carbon Steel with a thickness of 0.237” and with backing ring to qualify the skill of the welder in fillet welding with the SMAW process in position 5F on pipes Copper Nickel ( O.D. 2 ½” thickness 0.280”) to Carbon Steel (O.D. 3” schedule 160 in accordance ASME IX?

Thanks

Mar 31, 2022, 11:11:16 PM3/31/22
to material...@googlegroups.com

Karthik

Apr 1, 2022, 3:44:28 AM4/1/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
As per Table QW451.4 All Groove weld test qualified for All fillet sizes on all base metal thicknesses and all diameters.

Thanks& Regards,

(Karthik)
Karthikeyan.S
M: +66-892512282

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Rene Alvarado

Apr 3, 2022, 11:41:57 PM4/3/22
to material...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Karthik but I'm sorry because the wording of my question was wrong.

Our WPS-XXX was qualified in 2012 = SMAW / Manual / P·No.: 1 Group No 1 y 2 a P-No: 34 Group No. N/A with 0.237” thickness in position 6G (SA-106 Gr. B to SB-466 ALLOY 706) with backing ring (SA-36) / Filler metal E-NiCu-7 of 3/32” and 1/8” / minimum preheat temperature 400° F and interpass temperature 600° F.

Nowadays in the year 2022 we need to qualify a welder in fillet welding according to the Figure QW-462.4(c) pipe to pipe of ASME IX using the WPS-XXX described above.

Question: Can we use the WPS-XXX to qualify the welder in fillet welding according to the Figure QW-462.4(c) pipe to pipe of ASME IX?

Thank very much

Karthik

Apr 5, 2022, 3:31:26 AM4/5/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
As per QG 108, Qualified WPS's are still valid and you use those WPS's for your welder qualification according to the qualidcation.

QG-108 QUALIFICATIONS MADE TO PREVIOUS
EDITIONS
Joining procedures, procedure qualifications, and performance
qualifications that were made in accordance
with Editions and Addenda of this Section as far back as
the 1962 Edition may be used in any construction for
which the current Edition has been specified.
Joining procedures, procedure qualifications, and performance
qualifications that were made in accordance
with Editions and Addenda of this Section prior to the
1962 Edition may be used in any construction for which
the current Edition has been specified provided the requirements
of the 1962 Edition or any later edition have
been met.
Procedure specifications, PQRs, and performance qualification
records meeting the above requirements do not
require amendment to include any variables required
by later Editions and Addenda, except as specified in
QW-420. Qualification of new procedure specifications
for joining processes, and performance qualifications for
persons applying them, shall be in accordance with the
current Edition of Section IX.

Thanks& Regards,

(Karthik)
Karthikeyan.S
M: +66-892512282

Rene Alvarado

Apr 7, 2022, 12:54:47 AM4/7/22
to material...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for your technical advice Karthikeyan. S.

Again I have made a mistake in my question.

1. The performance qualification test shall be welded in accordance with qualified Welding Procedure Specifications (WPS), or Standard Welding Procedure Specifications(SWPS).

2. We have a procedure classified ten years ago (see figure below) WPS-XXX and we used the process SMAW (manual); materials P·No.: 1 Group No 1 y 2 a P-No: 34 Group No. N/A with 0.237” thickness in position 6G (SA-106 Gr. B to SB-466 ALLOY 706) with backing ring (SA-36) and Filler metal E-NiCu-7 of 3/32” and 1/8”.

image.png

3. Today we need to qualify the skill of a welder in according to Figure QW-462.4(c) Fillet Welds in Pipe-Performance using the same materials P•No.1 Group 1 y 2 a P-No: 34 Group N/A (SA-106 Gr. B to SB-466 ALLOY 706); the process SMAW (manual) and Filler metal E-NiCu-7 of 3/32” or 1/8”.

image.png

Question. Can we use the WPS-XXX indicated in item 2 to qualify the skill of the welder?

Regards

james gerald

Apr 7, 2022, 2:15:51 AM4/7/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Yes, You can use it. See below snapshot for reference.

Inline image

Also see snap shot of QW-350 as there is no changes in the essential variables for welder Qualification.

Inline image

Also, find below regarding the use of WPS.

Inline image

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

Karthik

Apr 7, 2022, 2:15:53 AM4/7/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
As per QG 108, Qualified WPS's are still valid and you can use those WPS's for your welder qualification As per You can use Groove weld WPS for al fillet weld .

Inline image

Rene Alvarado

Apr 7, 2022, 11:11:53 PM4/7/22
to material...@googlegroups.com

Therefore we can qualify the skill of a welder in position 5F (fillet), SMAW process, P-1 to P-34, filler metal E-NiCu-7  USING  a Welding Groove With Backing (WPS) with the same SMAW process, same material. P-1 to P-34, same filler metal E-NiCu-7

Regards

El jue, 7 abr 2022 a la(s) 12:07, Rene Alvarado (rene.alvar...@gmail.com) escribió:
FYI
  QW-310.2 Welding Groove With Backing. The dimensions of the welding groove on the test coupon used in making qualification tests for double‐welded groove welds or single‐welded groove welds with backing shall be the same as those for any Welding Procedure Specification (WPS) qualified by the organization, or shall be as shown in Figure QW-469.1. A single‐welded groove‐weld test coupon with backing or a double‐welded groove‐weld test coupon shall be considered welding with backing. Partial penetration groove welds and fillet welds are considered welding with backing.

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Apr 7, 2022, 11:12:16 PM4/7/22
to materials-welding
yes

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, BE, IWE,  CSWIP 3.1,
ISO 9712 Level 2 in VT,
ASNT-Level II in PT,MT,RT & UT,
LA ISO 9001-2015,
International Welding Engineer.
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY
Mobile no: +919940739349

Rene Alvarado

Apr 7, 2022, 11:12:17 PM4/7/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
FYI
  QW-310.2 Welding Groove With Backing. The dimensions of the welding groove on the test coupon used in making qualification tests for double‐welded groove welds or single‐welded groove welds with backing shall be the same as those for any Welding Procedure Specification (WPS) qualified by the organization, or shall be as shown in Figure QW-469.1. A single‐welded groove‐weld test coupon with backing or a double‐welded groove‐weld test coupon shall be considered welding with backing. Partial penetration groove welds and fillet welds are considered welding with backing.

james gerald

Apr 7, 2022, 11:37:41 PM4/7/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
1. If you have a Groove weld qualified welder within ranges then you can use the same welder for Fillet welding without Qualification.
2. If you want to Qualify new Fillet welder then
      a. To Qualify a welder you need a WPS to weld test Joints.
      b. Since Groove weld Qualifies also Fillet welds you can revise your existing WPS to include Groove & Fillet else prepare a new WPS for Fillet welding with existing PQR.

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Apr 8, 2022, 12:56:14 AM4/8/22
to materials-welding
Rene,
  Since position & Weld is not  essential variable in wps, u can use groove welded WPS to qualify welder IN fillet weld.

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, BE, IWE,  CSWIP 3.1,
ISO 9712 Level 2 in VT,
ASNT-Level II in PT,MT,RT & UT,
LA ISO 9001-2015,
International Welding Engineer.
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY
Mobile no: +919940739349

prasad loke

Apr 10, 2022, 11:17:19 PM4/10/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear experts ,

I need valuable guidance on following,

Overlapping of circumferential weld joint over longitudinal weld joint in pressure nozzle is acceptable ?  If yes , then as per which reference standard and clause

Thanks

Regards
Prasad

james gerald

Apr 10, 2022, 11:50:40 PM4/10/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Sometimes it is unavoidable that some Nozzle welds overlap Circum seam or Longitudinal seam, in that case the circum seam or Longitudinal weld seam shall be flush grinded and RT performed before welding and after successful RT results the Nozzle weld may be welded over flush grinded seam and perform necessary NDT after welding.

I believe your question is Nozzle weld overlapping longitudinal seam.

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar