Failure Analysis

Shashank Vagal

Feb 21, 2016, 4:42:50 AM2/21/16
to Bathula Raghuram (Mumbai - PIPING), Materials & Welding
Dear all,
Please suggest what could have caused this pipe failure after Hydrotesting..... Consider all general conditions as all details are not known yet

BR,
Shashank C Vagal

Alan Denney

Feb 21, 2016, 10:53:33 PM2/21/16
to material...@googlegroups.com

KRISHNASAMY MASANAM

Feb 22, 2016, 12:11:35 AM2/22/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
May be the hydro test pressure exceeding the 90% of SMYS...

Krishnasamy Masanam
QA/QC Mechanical/Welding Inspector (GIS-TUV)
Saudi Aramco Project Inspection Division,
Saudi Aramco Pipeline Inspection Unit,
TUV-NORD KSA
+966 564 74 3358

Sent from my iPhone

Shashank Vagal

Feb 22, 2016, 12:11:45 AM2/22/16
to material...@googlegroups.com, Nachiket Vagal
Thanks, Alan. I have asked for more details as it is of a great general interest to all students of failure analysis. I shall make them available on this forum when received.

BR,
Shashank C Vagal

Feb 22, 2016, 5:11:03 AM2/22/16
to material...@googlegroups.com

Seems to me that it was tested above the minimum specified yield strength of the base material (over pressured) because there is a lot of deformation visible on the picture, if material/weld failures were present in general you will get a brittle fracture. Radiographic examination makes only sense if the present fracture surface shows any indication which may relate to an improper longitudinal weld.

I would suggest checking base material certificate (also check wall thickness with requirements) and execute some tests on the uninfluenced base material in order to check if values comply with the certificate.

Also check calibration of equipment used during testing, was it giving the correct information?

Also important to know is the procedure followed during testing. For example in which steps was the test pressure applied, and was the temperature of the water / material during testing.

Met vriendelijke groeten / Best Regards,

Herman Pieper

QA-QC Inspector / CSWIP + IWI-C Welding Inspector / IWT / Materials Expert

Logo nieuw klein

Job van der Havestraat 6

8384 DB, Wilhelminaoord

Cell: +31 6 51691215