Re: [MW:31286] Ground flush on weld seam required at intersection location

in...@pieper-qsi.nl

Aug 6, 2020, 2:58:41 AM8/6/20
to 'Dinesh' via Materials & Welding

Thank you for your e-mail, unfortunately I’m out of office till Monday August 10th . In the meantime I will have minimum access to my e-mail account. When you didn’t receive an response before this date I will answer your e-mail on Monday August 10th.

Best Regards,

Herman Pieper

Dinesh

Aug 6, 2020, 2:58:42 AM8/6/20
to Materials & Welding
Dear experts,

Generally, standards say that “The weld seam shall be ground flush for a distance 50 mm on all sides of the intersection”.

What is exact technical reason to do for ground flush on weld seam required at intersection location?

Inner side.jpg

Outer side.jpg

Thanks

Sourav Bohrays

Aug 6, 2020, 5:47:24 AM8/6/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
its a pleasure of mine if you show refference of this theory.
which code of construction you are using?

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

in...@pieper-qsi.nl

Aug 6, 2020, 11:12:31 PM8/6/20
to 'GENE MATSKO' via Materials & Welding

GENE MATSKO

Aug 6, 2020, 11:12:31 PM8/6/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
IMHO I believe the reason for grinding this type of weld joint flush is for a good clear X-ray with no multiple beads showing on the film and no weave, Clear. Many years ago
when I worked as a welder for CBI / PDM / etc we always ground this type of joint flush because we always flat topped all the X-ray joints. The weld joints were not ground 'flush',
they were 'flat topped', their is a difference. Flat topping a weld also gives a much clearer X-ray and it is faster than grinding joints flush. Also, I think tee joints could be called
the 'weak link' in a weld, so to speak. I know of no code reference but that doesn't mean their isn't one.
Gene Matsko

George Dilintas

Sep 1, 2020, 5:38:08 AM9/1/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
ASME VIII-1 required to grind flush pressure-retaining welds in case those welds are going to be under reinforcing pads, saddles, manhole frames, lugs.
Also ASME VIII-1 in case a longitudinal weld is in an offset area, then this longitudinal weld must be flush with the parent metal
Temper bead reinforcement has also with the base metal.
Also, welds in expansion joints must be flush.
Another case are jacketed vessels made of work-hardened nickel. In case of welds subject to external pressure, they must be also flush

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Dr. Georgios Dilintas,
Dipl. Ing. In Aeronautic and Space Engineering
Ph.D in Mechanics of Solids - Computational Mechanics
A.I.S, A.N.I, IRCA Lead Auditor
Welding, Stress Analysis, Corrosion, QA/QC, Failure Analysis, Risk Analysis