Hardness Test on Stainless Steel and Carbon Steel

furkan topaloğlu

Feb 6, 2023, 9:58:31 PM2/6/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Experts,

I would like to ask a question regarding the hardness test on Stainless Steel and Carbon Steel.

Do I need a different calibration block for SS / CS or another probe for these different types of material?

Can I use the same probe on the SS and CS material without additional calibration ?

Could you please inform me with technical background ?

Thanks in advance. Regards

--

Regards / Saygılarımla

Furkan TOPALOĞLU

Metallurgy and Material & Welding Engineer

Phone : +7 916 524 21 02

              +90 539 437 88 03

E-Mail : topalogl...@gmail.com

james gerald

Feb 7, 2023, 5:22:45 AM2/7/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
Is it for production Harness testing or weldimg PQR or parent base metal Hardness testing

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

furkan topaloğlu

Feb 7, 2023, 5:34:33 AM2/7/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
Production hardness test

james gerald

Feb 7, 2023, 10:14:20 PM2/7/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
be specific with the Type of Hardness Testing machine and Brand like Equotip Rebound Hardness tester

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

james gerald

Feb 8, 2023, 6:27:34 AM2/8/23
to 'james gerald' via Materials & Welding
Just to add, there are different types of Hardness testing like Brinell, Vickers, Rockwelll A/B/C, Rockwell superficial, Micro Hardness, Rebound Harness tester.

Portable machines are available in some of the Harness test machine type & so if you could be specific it will be easy to amnswer your query

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

Jenish MISTRY

Feb 17, 2023, 3:23:40 AM2/17/23
to Materials & Welding
Dear sir ,

I don't think you required different calibration block for CS/SS.

Because if you look at Hardness tester working principal that  A hardness test is performed by pressing a specifically dimensioned and loaded object (indenter)
( Which is independent of material either CS/SS)  into the surface of the material you are testing. The hardness is determined by measuring the depth of indenter penetration or by measuring the size of the impression left by an indenter.

If I am wrong .Please let me Know.