Apache Skipper

Linda G.

Nov 23, 2021, 1:31:06 PM11/23/21
to MassLep
One of the skippers I showed at the meeting (see attached photo, relabeled) I said was either Green or Pahaska. That was incorrect. It has been identified as an Apache Skipper. I posted the image on iNaturalist and three observers provided the correct ID along with notes: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/100005063#activity_comment_cd79c15d-43d1-4167-af1b-e96ab650394d
I know there are many iNaturalist skeptics out there, but when you can get the attention of people who really know what they're doing it can be very rewarding.
Always grateful for the time people take to share their knowledge.
Linda
17 skipper Apache Graetz.JPG

fsm...@aol.com

Nov 23, 2021, 3:10:39 PM11/23/21
to lrg...@gmail.com, mas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Linda,

The western grass skippers can be very confusing.

As to iNaturalist, a lot depends on the animal family. It can be spotty [excuse the pun] on butterflies and mammals like chipmunks, but if you do dragonflies, Dennis Paulson's IDs are timely and flawless.

Enjoyed your presentation at the annual meeting [where we no longer do manual eating]. It's hard to do a pot luck on Zoom.

Cheers,
Frank Model