2021 October Derby Sightnings List for Ocober1

fsm...@aol.com

Oct 2, 2021, 1:52:46 AM10/2/21
to mas...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

As you can see below, we're off to a very good start and have a good chance of matching or exceeding last year's count. This weekend will be crucial because earlier is always better in October. We are still missing a lot of skippers and all the anglewings, among others. And the first 20 are a lot easier than the next 10. Good luck Saturday and Sunday.

Cheers,
Frank

 October 2021 Sightings List
[Through October 21]
Massachusetts Butterfly Club
Composite Listing [21 adults +1 subadult = 22 species]

American Copper
American Lady
Black Swallowtail
Cabbage White
Clouded Sulphur
Cloudless Sulphur
Common Buckeye
Common Ringlet
Eastern Tailed Blue
Fiery Skipper
Great Spangled Fritillary
Long-Tailed Skipper
Monarch
Ocola Skipper
Orange Sulphur
Pearl Crescent
Red Admiral
Red-Banded Hairstreak
Sachem
Spicebush Swallowtail [Larva]
Variegated Fritillary
Viceroy

fsm...@aol.com

Oct 2, 2021, 1:57:57 AM10/2/21
to mas...@googlegroups.com
I am sending this again because I don't think the first attempt went thru. Apologies if you get two copies.

fsm...@aol.com

Oct 3, 2021, 1:11:16 PM10/3/21
to mas...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

Hopefully there will be more additions today, but we added seven new species on Saturday, bringing our total to 29, including one subadult. Looking at previous years, there are still a good number of additional species out there, but finding them will become more and more of a challenge. Good luck today, except for the Red Sox.

Cheers,
Frank
 October 2021 Sightings List
[Through October 2]
Massachusetts Butterfly Club
Composite Listing [28 adults +1 subadult = 29 species]

American Copper
American Lady
Black Swallowtail
Bronze Copper
Cabbage White
Clouded Sulphur
Cloudless Sulphur
Common Buckeye
Common Ringlet
Eastern Tailed Blue
Fiery Skipper
Gray Hairstreak
Great Spangled Fritillary
Horace's Duskywing
Least Skipper
Long-Tailed Skipper
Monarch
Ocola Skipper
Orange Sulphur
Painted Lady
Pearl Crescent
Question Mark
Red Admiral
Red-Banded Hairstreak
Sachem
Silver-Bordered Fritillary

fsm...@aol.com

Oct 4, 2021, 10:38:42 PM10/4/21
to mas...@googlegroups.com
Good Evening.

Things have been rather slow the last two days, the only addition to our list being a Harvester larva. Hopefully, things will pick up. Here are some species not yet reported that could easily still be around: White M HS, Eastern Comma, Gray Comma, Green Comma, Mourning Cloak, Zabulon Skipper, Silver-Spotted Skipper, Eastern Tiger ST, Peck's Skipper, Tawny-Edged Skipper, Little Yellow, Compton Tortoiseshell, Broad-Winged Skipper, Baltimore Checkerspot. Some of these are longshots, but this not a comprehensive list.

Go get 'em.

Cheers,
Frank

 October 2021 Sightings List
[Through October 4]
Massachusetts Butterfly Club
Composite Listing [28 adults +2 subadults = 30 species]

American Copper
American Lady
Black Swallowtail
Bronze Copper
Cabbage White
Clouded Sulphur
Cloudless Sulphur
Common Buckeye
Common Ringlet
Eastern Tailed Blue
Fiery Skipper
Gray Hairstreak
Great Spangled Fritillary
Harvester [Larva]

fsm...@aol.com

Oct 4, 2021, 10:41:03 PM10/4/21
to mas...@googlegroups.com
Date on subject line corrected.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/masslep/1419758769.977626.1633401518724%40mail.yahoo.com
.

fsm...@aol.com

Oct 9, 2021, 2:04:46 AM10/9/21
to mas...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

Here is an update through Friday, October 8. We've added three anglewings, bringing our total to 31 + 2 = 33, which is very respectable. Hopefully this weekend will enable us to expand the list. Things get progressively tougher as the month wears on. happy hunting.

Cheers,
Frank
 October 2021 Sightings List
[Through October 8]
Massachusetts Butterfly Club
Composite Listing [31 adults +2 subadults = 33 species]

American Copper
American Lady
Black Swallowtail
Bronze Copper
Cabbage White
Clouded Sulphur
Cloudless Sulphur
Common Buckeye
Common Ringlet
Compton Tortoiseshell
Eastern Tailed Blue
Eastern Comma
Fiery Skipper
Gray Hairstreak
Great Spangled Fritillary
Harvester [Larva]
Horace's Duskywing
Least Skipper
Long-Tailed Skipper
Monarch
Mourning Cloak
Ocola Skipper
Orange Sulphur
Painted Lady
Pearl Crescent
Question Mark
Red Admiral
Red-Banded Hairstreak
Sachem
Silver-Bordered Fritillary
Spicebush Swallowtail [Larva]
Variegated Fritillary
Viceroy

fsm...@aol.com

Oct 11, 2021, 1:37:52 AM10/11/21
to mas...@googlegroups.com
Hi again.

Here is our October list, updated with input received today. There have been some additions and it is shaping up into a nice list.

We added one species completely new to the derby - Gulf Fritillary, a very rare visitor to Massachusetts. It was reported on the Massachusetts Butterflies Facebook page. There is a photo, so this one is rock solid.

One potentially controversial entry: A "crescent-that looks-more-like-northern-than-pearl" has been reported again. This has happened once before. I am listing it as "Crescent Sp" because I think it will may well prove to be a different species , not yet described, though we may not know in my lifetime. Field marks have proven highly unreliable in the Phyciodes complex [my opinion] and it will take substantial DNA work to unravel its mysteries. I'm not holding my breath.

Meanwhile, our list stands at 34 adults + 3 larvae = 37 species. And it is definitely not too late to add more.

Cheers,
Frank
 October 2021 Sightings List
[Through October 10]
Massachusetts Butterfly Club
Composite Listing [34 adults +3 subadults = 37 species]

American Copper
American Lady
Baltimore Checkerspot [Larva]
Black Swallowtail
Bronze Copper
Cabbage White
Clouded Sulphur
Cloudless Sulphur
Common Buckeye
Common Ringlet
Compton Tortoiseshell
Crescent Sp
Eastern Tailed Blue
Eastern Comma
Fiery Skipper
Gray Hairstreak
Great Spangled Fritillary
Gulf Fritillary
Harvester [Larva]
Horace's Duskywing
Least Skipper
Long-Tailed Skipper
Monarch
Mourning Cloak
Ocola Skipper
Orange Sulphur
Painted Lady
Pearl Crescent
Peck's Skipper
Question Mark
Red Admiral
Red-Banded Hairstreak
Sachem
Silver-Bordered Fritillary
Spicebush Swallowtail [Larva]
Variegated Fritillary
Viceroy

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/masslep/1419758769.977626.1633401518724%40mail.yahoo.com
.

fsm...@aol.com

Oct 15, 2021, 7:27:57 PM10/15/21
to mas...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

As we approach October's third weekend, the list remains unchanged from the one I posted on October 10. The weather looks good, but it's slim pickings as the month winds down. Happy hunting.

I'd love to hit 40 species, but at this point, that's a stretch. But not impossible.

Cheers,
Frank
 October 2021 Sightings List
[Through October 15]

fsm...@aol.com

Oct 17, 2021, 8:55:50 PM10/17/21
to mas...@googlegroups.com
Good evening.

Two additions [so far] this weekend, bring us to 39 total species, including subadults. That's a very nice list, but do I hear 40? Surely there's a Gray Comma in Berkshire County that will pop out on the next sunny day. Or maybe a ragged Silver-Spotted Skipper or a Tawny-Edged Skipper in the eastern part of our fair state.

Cheers,
Frank
 October 2021 Sightings List
[Through October 17]
Massachusetts Butterfly Club
Composite Listing [36 adults +3 subadults = 39 species]

American Copper
American Lady
Baltimore Checkerspot [Larva]
Black Swallowtail
Bronze Copper
Cabbage White
Clouded Sulphur
Cloudless Sulphur
Common Buckeye
Common Ringlet
Common Sootywing
Compton Tortoiseshell
Crescent Sp
Eastern Tailed Blue
Eastern Comma
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

fsm...@aol.com

Nov 1, 2021, 1:10:46 PM11/1/21
to mas...@googlegroups.com
Happy November!

We had a very good October Derby this year. Including the subadults, we booked 41 species, as detailed below. The most noteworthy sighting was probably the Gulf Fritillary - the first example of this species reported during an October Derby and a very rare visitor to Massachusetts.

Nice work, everyone!

Since I will be "retiring" from the derby, I hope someone will step up to take it over. I'll be glad to provide guidance. It's not hard...

Cheers,
Frank

October 2021 Sightings List
[Through October 31]
Massachusetts Butterfly Club
Composite Listing [38 adults +3 subadults = 41 species]
Monarch
Spicebush Swallowtail [Larva]
Summer Azure
Tawny-Edged Skipper
Variegated Fritillary
Viceroy

fsm...@aol.com

Nov 8, 2021, 1:01:30 PM11/8/21
to mas...@googlegroups.com
Hi again.

Also of potential interest, here is the composite list of all butterfly species seen in Massachusetts in the month of October for the years 2006 through 2021 inclusive. This represents fully half the species known from our fair state! The most remarkable migrants on the list are Gulf Fritillary [seen this year!] and European Peacock. For those of you who vaguely recall the report of a Queen, note that Karen Haley reported one in her Marblehead yard in September, 2002, not October and before the derby started. The list also includes a crescent ["Crescent sp"] which more closely resembles a Northern Crescent than a Pearl Crescent, but is likely neither. Hopefully someone will unravel the mystery of this group of crescents in the not too distant future.

"See" you all at the Fall Meeting on Saturday.

Cheers,
Frank

October Sightings List 2006-2021
Massachusetts Butterfly Cl[58 1/2 adults + 2 subadults = 60 1/2 species]

American Copper
American Lady
Aphrodite Fritillary
Baltimore Checkerspot
Black Swallowtail
Broad-Winged Skipper
Bronze Copper
Cabbage White
Checkered White
Clouded Sulphur
Cloudless Sulphur
Common Buckeye
Common Checkered Skipper
Common Ringlet
Common Sootywing
Compton Tortoiseshell
Crescent Sp
Eastern Tailed Blue
Eastern Comma
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
European Peacock
Fiery Skipper
Giant Swallowtail [Larva]
Gray Comma
Gray Hairstreak
Great Spangled Fritillary
Gulf Fritillary
Harvester [Larva]
Horace's Duskywing
Least Skipper
Little Yellow
Leonard's Skipper
Long Dash
Long-Tailed Skipper
Milbert's Tortoiseshell
Monarch
Mourning Cloak
Northern Broken Dash*
Ocola Skipper
Orange Sulphur
Painted Lady
Pearl Crescent
Peck's Skipper
Pipevine Swallowtail
Question Mark
Red-Spotted Admiral
Red Admiral
Red-Banded Hairstreak
Sachem
Silver-Bordered Fritillary
Silver-Spotted Skipper
Sleepy Orange
Spicebush Swallowtail
Summer Azure
Tawny-Edged Skipper
Variegated Fritillary
Viceroy
White M Hairstreak
Wild Indigo Duskywing
Zabulon Skipper

*ID uncertain so it is counted as 1/2 sighting

.

e-crone

Nov 8, 2021, 11:43:04 PM11/8/21
to MassLep
Dear all,

This love of data brings me great joy.  :-)  And it is interesting to know what we might (or might not) be seeing this time of year.

With best wishes,
Elizabeth Crone