Is the group active?

clueless newbie

Feb 3, 2022, 3:44:25 PM2/3/22
to marpa parser
Is this group active? or is there someplace else?

Jeffrey Kegler

Feb 3, 2022, 3:48:03 PM2/3/22
to marpa parser
It is active, although obviously it does not get much traffic.  Currently our IRC channel, #marpa at irc.libera.chat is getting much more use.

clueless newbie

Feb 5, 2022, 5:35:41 PM2/5/22
to marpa parser
Recently my wife gave me a gift by becoming your patreon.

Unfortunately everything was set up on her account. LOL!

Jeffrey Kegler

Feb 8, 2022, 3:21:20 PM2/8/22
to marpa-...@googlegroups.com
Again, many thanks for thinking of me for the donation.

I think my donors are special people because, while there are many worthwhile causes and generous donors out there, my donors have to do some research in order to understand the reason for their donation.  This extra effort makes them stand out.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Feb 8, 2022, 3:21:20 PM2/8/22
to marpa-...@googlegroups.com
I wondered who that was.  Thank you very much!

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Feb 9, 2022, 6:31:04 PM2/9/22
to marpa parser
I looked the code over.  The error apparatus is on the heavy-weight side, but depending on the application and your preferences (start-minimal-and-add versus start-heavyweight-and-cut) that may be the right thing.

My most recent effort at a read loop with error (and exception) is a linter for a language called Hoon.  The main read loop is here.  hoonlint is on production scale (not a toy example).  From it you can see the kind of approach I was favoring at that time.

I let the folks at the IRC channel know about this exchange, so perhaps we'll see some input from them.

jeffrey

F. Li

Feb 9, 2022, 7:29:14 PM2/9/22
to marpa-...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks for looking at crude efforts.

Yours,
clueless newbie

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "marpa parser" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/marpa-parser/c26a2519-4992-4fcb-a275-9a28d93294c6n%40googlegroups.com.

Ron Savage

Feb 10, 2022, 11:48:29 PM2/10/22
to marpa parser
Hi Clueless
I second Jeffrey's suggestion that you switch to IRC.
As for comments re error handling, I'll repeat here what I've just posted on the IRC channel #marpa:
Re: https://colabti.org/irclogger/irclogger_log/marpa?date=2022-02-09#l14. For a different way of handling errors, have a look at the source code for Text::Delimited::Marpa, and in particular its usage of Const::Exporter.
Likewise, lots of Marpa stuff is at http://savage.net.au/Marpa.html.
PS
You do realize, I hope, that 'clueless newbie' is a tautology, right? Hahaha.
Cheers
Ron

Jeffrey Kegler

Feb 11, 2022, 7:49:28 AM2/11/22
to marpa-...@googlegroups.com
Actually, re the term "newbie", anyone who can formulate a Marpa question is an expert IMHO.   Parsing has fallen into such a decline that you can get a PhD from a good school and not have had a course in parsing or compiler writing.  That means that if you ask a Marpa question you are using concepts and terms unfamiliar even to many experts.

And, while yes, more people will see questions on IRC, having questions here does make the mailing list more inviting.  As the subject line suggests we were getting to the point where people will look at the group and think it is inactive.  And some folks are reluctant about IRC.  So my thought is that we should not have an official preference, and that it's really up to F. Li.

Ron Savage

Feb 11, 2022, 7:31:08 PM2/11/22
to marpa parser
Hi Jeffrey

OK!

F. Li

Feb 12, 2022, 7:10:02 PM2/12/22
to marpa-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Jeffrey,

I made the "main" rather heavy on the error recovery side in the hopes that I might be able to focus on the grammar and the  resulting AST in isolation. (I wanted to be able to do "perl -M<grammar etc>  main.pl" without having to change main.pl.) Whether or not I was/am successful at that remains to be seen!

Hi, Ron,

Thanks for the link to Text::Delimited::Marpa - at the moment use of events is well over my head! I will however study it carefully in hopes of becoming less clueless.

PS:I think my father would have suggested that Srinivasa Ramanujan proves that not all newbies are clueless.

Ron Savage

Feb 12, 2022, 10:24:12 PM2/12/22
to marpa parser
Hmmm, yes. Srinivasa Ramanujan is certainly an extraordinary case to consider.