help with OS maps

Louise Bateman

Sep 5, 2022, 7:00:30 AM9/5/22
to MapInfo-L
Hi I'm a beginner and I just want to print off maps with labels.  The OS map I have is very dark so the labels don't show up even with different colours.  I can't make them too big as there are a lot of them.  Does anyone know how i can fade out the OS map so its grey and white rather than black and white. TIA

Daniel Wiens

Sep 5, 2022, 7:26:33 AM9/5/22
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Try making labels black with a white halo.  That works for me.

On Mon, Sep 5, 2022 at 4:00 AM Louise Bateman <louise....@vertas.co.uk> wrote:
Hi I'm a beginner and I just want to print off maps with labels.  The OS map I have is very dark so the labels don't show up even with different colours.  I can't make them too big as there are a lot of them.  Does anyone know how i can fade out the OS map so its grey and white rather than black and white. TIA

archives, feature requests, to visit our Wiki, visit the Welcome page at
http://groups.google.com/group/mapinfo-l?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MapInfo-L" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mapinfo-l/04e84afc-c6f2-4ccb-8e52-080fbf44cd45n%40googlegroups.com.

Peter Horsbøll Møller

Sep 5, 2022, 8:01:01 AM9/5/22
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi

What OS Mpas are you using?

If it’s one of their raster maps, you can change the display of the raster layer.

Check out this article on how to do that: MapInfo Monday: Making your base map grey

Alternatively, you could insert a new layer at the top of the list of layers.

In this layer draw a polygon or rectangle that covers your area of interest.

Now change the style of the layer to by full white and set the transparency to say 75%

That would tone down your base map layers and highlight all layers on top.

Peter

—
Peter Horsbøll Møller
Principal Sales Engineer - Distinguished Engineer

Sep 5, 2022, 8:05:43 AM9/5/22
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Additionally, you might try yellow with a white halo.  Yellow on black is the most visible combination.  You will see many signs with this combination intended to catch the attention of passers bye.

Louise Bateman

Sep 5, 2022, 8:19:38 AM9/5/22
to MapInfo-L
thanks everyone.  I'll give your ideas a try.

Peter Horsbøll Møller

Sep 5, 2022, 9:12:56 AM9/5/22
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

I just wrote this post to describe what I meant: MapInfo Monday: Toning Down Layers.

Peter

—
Peter Horsbøll Møller
Principal Sales Engineer - Distinguished Engineer

Louise Bateman

Sep 5, 2022, 9:21:54 AM9/5/22
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Louise

Louise Bateman​
Landscape Estimator

07712421063
louise....@vertas.co.uk
vertas.co.uk

Vertas Group Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales under number 07728211. The company's registered office is Beacon House, Whitehouse Road, Suffolk, IP1 5PB, United Kingdom. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the intended recipients. If you are not an intended recipient you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.