Vireo mimicry

Sarah Caputo

Jul 25, 2020, 9:28:00 PM7/25/20
to maine birds
So, I have a very loud presumed Red eyed vireo staked out in the top of a very tall black cherry tree. One of several vocal birds at the edges of the yard. They are very loud. This bird, however, is intermingling mimic calls of barn swallows and the local Broad-winged hawk between somewhat muddled here-I-ams calls. So I can't find much on Red-eyeds mimicry but there is some on Warbling vireos copying red eyeds. So, do I have a creative Warbling copying a Red eyed and other birds, or a talented Red-eyed?

And no, I don't have a recording yet.

Sarah

Joanne Stevens

Jul 25, 2020, 9:35:13 PM7/25/20
to maine...@googlegroups.com
I did have a Red-eyed Vireo at camp for two seasons that said
"chik-burr" just like a Scarlet Tanager.
Joanne