scaup lesser vs greater

Sarah Caputo

Apr 9, 2021, 8:29:50 PM4/9/21
to maine birds

Hi,

Finally got a chance to stop and look at the little group of Ring-necked ducks in Searsmont this evening and discovered there is a single male Scaup in with them.  Is there a good way to differentiate lesser from Greaters?

Pics attached, bit of a distance unfortunately.  If they are still there next week will drag out the big lens.

Sarah

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

scaup 2.JPG
scaup 3.JPG
scaup 4.JPG

Jane McDonnell

Apr 10, 2021, 12:16:36 PM4/10/21
to Sarah Caputo, maine birds
Following this, Sarah -- we have a raft of continuing Scaups in our river, and even though I came down on Greater because of head and bill shape, I'm still not sure. Happy to have any guidance.

Cepphus

Apr 11, 2021, 8:01:30 AM4/11/21
to Maine birds
Always a tough one.  I was leaning more towards lesser because of head shape, bill and slight purple sheen.  The flanks fit more to greater.

Liz

Apr 11, 2021, 11:10:33 AM4/11/21
to Cepphus, Maine birds
Hi all,

This looks to be a Lesser Scaup - but pictures can be deceiving.  However, when it comes to Scaup weight matters.  Greater Scaup are about 1/2 pound heavier than Lesser - If it’s built like a tank it’s a greater.  This Scaup is a little bigger than the Ring-necks but not much.

The tell tail sign is the dark spot at the tip of the bill.  If it’s narrow then its a Lesser.   I took this photo yesterday of a female Greater Scaup in Newport, Oregon.  She has a very wide nail at the tip of her bill.

Elizabeth Laver-Holencik
Oregon birder

Also, I’m on this website because my sister lives in Maine and she is just starting to bird.  I’m trying to help her, but you all have different birds out there! Happy birding, Liz

Sent from my iPhone