MACHIAS SEAL ISLAND REPORT 2

RALPH ELDRIDGE

Sep 24, 2020, 12:23:16 PM9/24/20
to Maine birds

 I nearly forgot about the Alcids, PUFFINS to be specific.

I mentioned in a previous post that there was at least one late active nest. Since then I have confirmed at least 5 active nests on the east side of the island, that is, they are still receiving food.

Surprisingly, they are all in an area that I expected to over-wash Tuesday night with full tide and storm surf. Guess they lucked out.

Less lucky have been some Puffins fledging late in the area around the lighthouse. I found two that died here at the house and the lighthouse on Tuesday morning and another on the boardwalk on Wednesday morning.

  I suspect that they all succumbed, directly or indirectly, to malnutrition, judging by their apparent body weight.