Davidson preserve

Sarah Caputo

Jun 14, 2020, 12:37:23 PM6/14/20
to maine birds
Hi,
Does anyone know if the Fen at Davidson is still an active Heron rookery? I had not been there in a few years and today sighted only 4 distant nests which did not appear occupied, I could not remember when in spring I had been there though. Many of the multiple branched snags birds had nests on have fallen.

There are plenty of ovenbirds. 2 had elaborate distraction displays as I was walking the path. Previously I' ve seen many fledges in the same spot.

Tally for the loop -

Catbird
Song sparrow
Ovenbird
Tufted titmouse
Hairy woodpecker
Blue headed vireo
Red- eyed vireo
Bc chickadee
Yellow warbler
common Yellowthroat
Am. Redstart
Parula
Black throated green
RW blackbird
Osprey

Numerous odes though quieter than usual as it was cool.
FOY Viceroy

Surprisingly No ticks.

Sarah

Glenn Hodgkins

Jun 15, 2020, 10:53:23 AM6/15/20
to Maine birds
I don't believe the heron nests at Davidson preserve in Vassalboro have had herons since 2018. I didn't see herons on a few visits last year and this, though there was an osprey in one of them both years.

Glenn Hodgkins

Diane Weinstein

Jun 17, 2020, 8:44:54 PM6/17/20
to Maine birds
Glenn would you please share with others the following, and edit as you find appropriate:

"Brown's Woodlot"

Mark Brown owns +150 acres adjacent to the Davidson Preserve on the other side of the beaver damn bog and would ike to invite birders to enjoy his property.  Entrance is 2 driveways  South past the entrance to the Preserve on Taber Hill Road.   There are some pink streamers to identify the dirt road driveway.   Mark has created connecting dirt roads and grassy trails all throughout his property and developed several campsites with fire pits, stocked firewood, picnic tables, chairs, even a telescope for folks to use which is on one of the campsites by the bog where he has a tent pavillion set up.

When entering his property, about 1/4 mile is a sign-in board and he keeps some maps there for you to better navigate the property.  Mark is typically around improving the property.  He mows the grassy trails about once a month so there are times when the grass is quite high.  Mark also owns another 100 acres on the other side of the road at the top of the hill where he keeps cattle in a former apple orchard and this property is also available to trek through.

Mark has asked me to share this information with you all.   He said that right now the Browntail Moth is present, particularly in some of his older oaks.

As well as most of the birds on the Davidson Preserve, last week a Scarlet Tanager was singing, a Black Throated Blue and Pine Warbler were present and in late May I had good view of a male and female Bay Breasted Warbler and Blackburian who I assume moved on further north as I have not seen them in June.

Good birding to you and the rest of the Augusta Bird Club

Diane Weinstein
Waterville

Glenn Hodgkins

Jun 18, 2020, 2:48:26 PM6/18/20
to Maine birds
Thanks Diane, that's good to know. I'll pass it on to the Augusta Birding Club list and to Kennebec Land Trust.