Brown Thrasher and Cormorant/Kokadjo-Frenchtown Twp

Christine Roberts

May 24, 2023, 3:14:12 PM5/24/23
to Maine-birds
Brown Thrasher - New “yard bird” displaying its industrious nature alongside sparrows and juncos

Cormorant - New pond bird for me. A handful have been around for a week. One just hauled up on a dock and the resident Herring Gulls all moved aside. Looks like Florida over there.

A raft of eiders loafed for a day last week. Have to wonder if it’s the same group that stopped by last fall. Chatty bunch.

Yellow bellied sapsuckers returned this week. The woods are coming alive with birdsong. Yesterday brought blue headed vireo, parula, ovenbird, chestnut sided, yellow rumped, kinglet, American redstart, and winter wren. I missed a couple due to biting bugs.

Feeders continue to be very busy. The siskins continue and the blue jays have returned……. A special shout out to Cornell’s Feeder Watch citizen science project. I’m a life long feeder and bird watcher, but it really upped my game - plus giving me an extra something to do over the winter.

Happy birding.

Chris