Two Snowy x Little Egret hybrids - Falmouth, 28 Apr

Doug Hitchcox

Apr 29, 2022, 10:20:03 AM4/29/22
to Bird Alerts
A quick note about being extra careful with egrets this summer: On yesterday’s bird walk at Gilsland Farm in Falmouth, we found what I initially called a ‘pure looking’ Little Egret in the marsh off the south end of the West Meadow. The two “spaghetti-like” plumes off the nape were obvious, so we shared scope views until the bird moved out of view. I went back after the walk to get a closer view and unfortunately realized it was an apparent Snowy x Little Egret hybrid. And to make things even more interesting, a second hybrid showed up too! Here are a few photos and field marks that may help others that encounter these birds in the field:

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/441179671
This view looks pretty ‘pure’ to me! Only the two long plumes visible; dark pink/purple lores (shown in early spring).

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/441179801
But once it started foraging, the shorter and bushy Snowy-like plumes were visible. Note also the back plumes a slightly more recurved than most Little Egrets tend to show.

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/441179391
Here is the second hybrid, which showed a more obvious blend of characteristics: the bushy plumes were conspicuous; body and especially bill shape were more Snowy-like too. This bird also showed duller purple-gray lores.

More photos are available on this eBird list: https://ebird.org/me/checklist/S108281958

It is worth noting the majority of records in Cumberland County (between Tidewater & Gilsland farms in Falmouth and Scarborough Marsh) last year were apparent hybrids, though the Laudholm Farm bird was as pure looking as they come. So I wanted to encourage an extra degree of diligence when picking through little egrets or Little Egrets this summer.

Good birding,

Doug Hitchcox
Maine Bird Atlas - Outreach Coordinator
Maine Audubon - Staff Naturalist