Snow Goose & N. Pintails continue in Woolwich

Eric Hynes

Mar 17, 2023, 4:05:36 PM3/17/23
to Maine Birds
Hello Maine Birders,

I spent a few minutes this afternoon behind the Taste of Maine restaurant on Route 1 in Woolwich. The tide was out on the Sassanoa River and there were plenty of ducks and geese taking advantage of the mudflats of Pleasant Cove. Most notable was a Snow Goose among Canada Geese. I know it has been reported most of the winter in that area but I had never caught up to it until today.

There were at least 11 Northern Pintails, which have been frequenting this location as well. Another duck looked a lot like a pintail but not quite. I suspect it was a Northern Pintail x Mallard (?) hybrid but not sure about that odd duck.

I saw several Bald Eagles but no Steller's Sea-Eagle.

Good birding,
Eric
Eric Hynes
Brunswick, ME