So. York County CBC 2022

Monica Grabin

Jan 3, 2023, 11:58:39 AM1/3/23
to maine...@googlegroups.com
It’s taken a while, but here’s the report for the Southern York County CBC on December 19th. Weather was great in the morning and temps ranged from 38 to 51 under mostly sunny skies, but afternoon winds impacted sightings both inland and especially at the coast. The total number of birds was the lowest in ten years at 8,458, but there were no new low counts. We did have new high counts for American Widgeon (4), Northern Harrier (9), Bald Eagle (14), Great Horned Owl (4) and Common Raven (48). One section had a flock! of 35 Ravens; the previous high was 16.  Red-breasted Nuthatches were plentiful, at 70, whereas in recent years we have struggled to find even a few. We ended up with 84 species, and 6 Count Week birds, which is more than usual. They included YB Chat, OC and Pine Warbler, and No. Shrike. Thanks to all who participated!