Whimbrels have returned

Merle and Anne Archie

Jul 28, 2020, 3:23:01 PM7/28/20
to Maine birds
At last, today - on the same date as last year - 35 Whimbrel showed up on the mudflats of Flat Bay, Harrington, during the daytime low tide.  Our experience of the last 6 years tells us that there will be a larger number of birds coming in during the next 5-7 days. I am unsure if we will ever see the 169 Whimbrel we observed in one flock in 2014, but we can always hope...

Other shorebirds are dribbling in - flocks of 200+ Semipalmated Sandpipers with smaller numbers of Semipalmated Plover, Short-billed Dowitchers and Black-bellied Plover.  August is the big month on Flat Bay with thousands of shorebirds feeding on the flats.

Merle and Anne Archie
Harrington, ME

Mary Ellen & Tom Tetreau

Jul 31, 2020, 12:27:24 PM7/31/20
to Maine birds
 Can you tell us the best place  be to view these birds where there maybe public access? Thank you.

Laurie O'Brien

Aug 4, 2020, 10:25:41 AM8/4/20
to Maine birds

I am wondering the same thing.  I'd like to come see the whimbrels, but couldn't tell from Google Maps where I'd be able access/view them.