Common Redpolls and Semipalmated Sandpipers at Flat Bay, Harrington

Merle and Anne Archie

Nov 20, 2020, 7:09:31 AM11/20/20
to Maine birds
Yesterday, a flock of 100+ Common Redpolls flew over but, unfortunately, didn't come down to our feeder stations.  We've put out more thistle in hopes of their return.

For the past two weeks we have observed continued southbound migration of Semipalmated Sandpipers feeding at low tide on Flat Bay mudflats. One day we had up to 250 birds  but most days the count range was 30 to 170+.  This is a surprise to us as we haven't seen shorebirds of these numbers in November.

Anne Archie, Harrington