Maine Birds

Aloyse Larrabee

May 21, 2020, 12:51:51 PM5/21/20
to maine...@googlegroups.com
May 21, 2020, Owlsboro Road, Dexter - I didn't walk until after 10 am but I did see a Ruffed Grouse, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and Great-crested Flycatcher. Also Mourning Cloak and Azure Blue butterflies and metallic Green Tiger Beetles. Beautiful day outside!
Aloyse Larrabee, Dexter

Aloyse Larrabee

May 26, 2020, 9:56:43 AM5/26/20
to maine...@googlegroups.com
May 26 - I walked on Number Ten Road in Dexter this morning.
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Scarlet Tanager
All three birds were singing. A few days ago I saw an American Bittern standing in the grass next to a farm pond on this road. I thought it was a stick at first!
Aloyse Larrabee, Dexter

Aloyse Larrabee

May 27, 2020, 12:43:43 PM5/27/20
to maine...@googlegroups.com
May 27, 2020 - north from Corinna on the recreational trail
I walked in this area specifically to see and hear the Bobolink who breed each year in the fields and I was not disappointed!  Some other birds I saw:
Northern Flicker; Eastern Kingbird; Warbling and Red-eyed Vireo; Veery; Gray Catbird; Yellow Warbler; Chestnut-sided Warbler; Common Yellowthroat; American Redstart; Song and Swamp Sparrow; female Red-winged Blackbird on the nest; Baltimore Oriole 2 male, 1 female; Chimney Swift
Aloyse Larrabee, Dexter

Aloyse Larrabee

May 30, 2020, 8:33:13 PM5/30/20
to maine...@googlegroups.com
May 30, 2020, 5 pm, Harlow Pond, Parkman
female Wood Duck; Eastern Kingbird; lots of Tree Swallows; Common Loon; and a flock of Cedar Waxwings
Aloyse Larrabee, Dexter

Aloyse Larrabee

Jun 4, 2020, 10:28:14 AM6/4/20
to maine...@googlegroups.com
June 4, 2020, Number 10 Road, Dexter
I came home from my walk today and did a little research on American Bittern. A while back, I saw an American Bittern standing in the grass next to a farm pond. Then another day I saw one further up the road in a field. Today I saw 2 in the same field. The information I found says that Bitterns do sometimes nest in fields. I think that might be the case here. I also saw a Red-tailed Hawk today.
Aloyse Larrabee, Dexter

Aloyse Larrabee

Jun 5, 2020, 2:36:28 PM6/5/20
to maine...@googlegroups.com
June 5, 2020, Essex Street Marsh, Bangor
Please forgive this report. There were some nice birds this morning including a mother Common Merganser and her 7 little Mergs. But what really excited me was a coiled snake in the path, 2 feet or more long, tan with patterned brown splotches. I looked it up when I got home. It was a Milk Snake, one I have never seen before and it was so beautiful!
Aloyse Larrabee, Dexter

Aloyse Larrabee

Jun 6, 2020, 1:16:45 PM6/6/20
to maine...@googlegroups.com
June 6, 2020, wetland in Dover-Foxcroft
We saw 2 Great Blue Heron flying, then 9 more flying, swooping, and dipping over the wetland, like a sky dance! Also saw Pied-billed Grebes who appeared to be nesting and a Belted Kingfisher.
Aloyse Larrabee, Dexter